Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Are tubeless tyres worth it?

<< < (2/8) > >>

energyman:
I sometimes think that the words of Thomas Bertram Lance "If it aint broke don't fix it" could be applied to some "improvements" marketed by the cycle industries ?
[This does not apply to Rohloffs of course ;)]

leftpoole:

--- Quote from: energyman on October 19, 2020, 09:25:37 am ---I sometimes think that the words of Thomas Bertram Lance "If it aint broke don't fix it" could be applied to some "improvements" marketed by the cycle industries ?

--- End quote ---

Seconded. Agreed. Absolutely in agreement!

PH:

--- Quote from: energyman on October 19, 2020, 09:25:37 am ---I sometimes think that the words of Thomas Bertram Lance "If it aint broke don't fix it" could be applied to some "improvements" marketed by the cycle industries ?

--- End quote ---
Yes, some improvements. 
But how do you know without trying?  If no one tried we'd still be riding xxx, well we probably wouldn't be riding at all.
I haven't gone tubeless or have any current plans to, but neither have I rejected the idea.  I think it's still a technology in development, still for me probably more effort than the perceived benefit warrants, that may change.

JohnR:
Last weekend I decided that it was time to swap the Schwalbe G-one Speed tyres for a pair of Panaracer Gravelking SKs https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-tyres/panaracer-gravel-king-sk-tubeless-compatible-clincher-tyre/11567290.html?variation=11567296 with more grip for winter roads. The attached photo shows the G-one tyres after 1500 miles. The front tyre looks almost new but the rear tyre is somewhat more worn. I counted up the holes. There was one small hole in the front tyre (it's somewhere in the photo) but I counted 19 holes or small cuts in the rear tyre. Some of these were actively oozing when I took the tyre off, perhaps because there wasn't much goo left inside. Why the difference? I can only surmise that my local roads are littered with minute bits of glass or stone flakes and the extra load on the rear wheel is enough for these to cause little cuts whereas the front tyre floats over them. Whatever the reason, it doesn't provide a lot of confidence over the durability of these tyres. The G-one All-round with bigger pimples might fare better but don't come in a similar size (50mm).

After that the next task was trying to fit the new tyres. Needless to say, without a big air compressor or booster tank I couldn't persuade the Gravelking beads to to seat so they are currently running with inner tubes. The front has a standard tube and the rear one of the Schwalbe XL tubes, but I can't notice any difference in ride. The ride is definitely a bit firmer than with the tubeless G-one tyres but I'm still looking for the optimum pressure. In due course I'll take off one of the tyres and see if it has remembered the new, unfolded, shape in which case the beads may be more willing to seat if I retry tubeless. I'm also keeping an eye open for second-hand booster tanks on ebay. However, having a booster tank at home doesn't help if I'm away on a longer trip and a tubeless tyres has to come off for some reason. I'm therefore inclined towards living with tubes. I'll see how long before I get a puncture with the new tyres but I'm carrying a spare tube (one ready-filled with sealant) as the backup.

Something else I noted is that while the G-one tyres are nominally 50mm and the Gravelkings 48mm, in reality there's only about 1% different in size which meant two attempts to recalibrate the speed sensor to give the same distance.

leftpoole:
The reason you cannot notice any difference is because 1) They still have tubes in them or 2) Because it has all been a con!
In my opinion the latter. Are people going to buy tyres which need filling with 'Slime' and require a massive pump to fit? Not me!
Regards,
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version