Author Topic: A tour of Southern Hebridean islands  (Read 3496 times)

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
A tour of Southern Hebridean islands
« on: October 08, 2020, 03:23:04 pm »
Putting my Thorn Sherpa to good use.  Not too much cycling, but 25 ferries and 15 islands in 16 days. Thorough recommended. A combination of short day trips and multi-day wild camps on the larger islands. I could easily have added another 2-weeks to the itinerary and will return again to explore the small isles and Skye (when it is not too busy).

https://wp.me/p5oyVA-1cG

PS. I saw 3 Thorns - one Audax, a Nomad and an old Club Tour, all being put to good use too.

lewis noble

Re: A tour of Southern Hebridean islands
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:11:05 pm »
Brilliant post and photos!!

Your Sherpa looks v similar to mine, also red, similar set-up.  Its currently on loan to my daughter, while she waits for her ordered Trek to arrive.

We've been to several of those islands, cycled our Thorn tandem round Islay, Jura and Tiree a few years ago.

Thanks for sharing.

Lewis

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 08:13:46 pm »
Brilliant post and photos!!

Your Sherpa looks v similar to mine, also red, similar set-up.  Its currently on loan to my daughter, while she waits for her ordered Trek to arrive.

We've been to several of those islands, cycled our Thorn tandem round Islay, Jura and Tiree a few years ago.

Thanks for sharing.

Lewis

Hi Lewis. Did I meet you a few years ago on Harris? Near the Berneray/Leverburgh ferry terminal. I was on my Raven Tour and you were driving.
I recall a chap telling me about his adventures on a tandem. His partner was blind and i think they toured the islands and Holland.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 08:23:51 pm »
Putting my Thorn Sherpa to good use.  Not too much cycling, but 25 ferries and 15 islands in 16 days. Thorough recommended. A combination of short day trips and multi-day wild camps on the larger islands. I could easily have added another 2-weeks to the itinerary and will return again to explore the small isles and Skye (when it is not too busy).

https://wp.me/p5oyVA-1cG

PS. I saw 3 Thorns - one Audax, a Nomad and an old Club Tour, all being put to good use too.

What a great tripand pictures. Many thanks for sharing.

Took me back to my 2 tours through the islands 5+ years ago.
I first passed through them on my Scottish End2End tour. Shetland down to Mull of Galloway. I managed a few days on Eigg as well as the usual islands. Enjoyed them so much, I returned a couple of years later for Harris and Lewis.

Did i miss the time of year you were there? I see the journal is dated 8 October but perhaps you were there early September?
Many thanks again.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:25:10 pm »
Loved it all -- the islands, the sea, the sky, the emptiness.  Great break from COVID-seclusion, and a well-chosen route.

Looks as if you had pretty good weather, too. In mid-June 2008, my wife and I visited Mull and Iona.  On the ferry to Iona, the rain was coming in horizontally. My wife said she didn't have a proper hat, so we bought her a nice thick woollen toque. She said, "John, it's June, for heavens' sake!" I said, "Sweetie, there's a reason why Nova Scotia is named New Scotland."

lewis noble

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 09:00:59 pm »
Hello Matt . . . . no, the guy on Harris was not me . . . . never been to the Outer Hebrides, though we hope to go there sometime.

Regards to all

Lewis

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 09:10:48 am »
The tour was from mid-Sept to early-Oct.  The weather was stunning, other than two days.  Most rain was overnight.  Very light winds otherwise.

PH

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 10:59:23 am »
Thanks for sharing that, an excellent report and all great photos (Well done for editing them down) I've been to some of those islands and others are on my to do list.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 07:57:51 pm »
Wow! You really have an eye for a superb composition. Loved your photographs.