Author Topic: Changing rear Tire  (Read 4953 times)

martinf

Re: Changing rear Tire
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 07:56:32 am »
The Nexus is, in my opinion, the most awkward.

Agree. I have used a lot of different rear hubs over the years.

My own rating in order of ease of wheel removal:

- single speed freewheel
- single speed fixed
- SRAM Spectro 7 (has a Clickbox), equal to Rohloff with Ex box and equal to SRAM 3-speed (clip on cable holder)
- Sturmey 3-speed (one cable connector to unscrew)
- Sturmey S5/2 5-speed (two cable connectors to unscrew)
- Rohloff with bayonet connectors (IMO more fiddly, but cleaner, than the Sturmey screw-on cable connectors)
- Derailleur
- Shimano Nexus 7 and 8 speeds (Alfine 8 and Alfine 11 are probably similar)

And worst of all, any hub with a drum brake or roller brake or coaster brake that has a reaction arm that needs unbolting. A Rohloff with the long reaction arm for use on bike frames without suitable Rohloff compatible dropouts would also fall into this category.

I'm of the opinion that a Chainglider actually makes removing a rear wheel easier, because it organises the chain and keeps things cleaner. But like the Rohloff bayonet connectors, the first time wll be longer as you have to work out the quickest way to get the rear part off and note (or remember) the number of ridges showing to get the optimum adjustment when refitting the wheel.

Rouleur834

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 08:55:37 am »
Not even knowing what an Ex box is is putting me off of the idea,  but thanks .

The bike frame has cable guides for either the EX box or the internal gear, the model of bike determines which hub.

I have only used the EX box, but I suspect that I would prefer the EX box based on easier cable replacement.

Leaving the shifter in gear 14 is not that big a deal.  I usually forget to put it into gear 14, and as long as I do not touch the shifter when I have the wheel out, everything goes back together just fine.  The reason for gear 14 (or if you want, a different gear that you remember), is that if you move the shifter with the wheel out, you want to put the shifter back into the gear that the hub was set for before you re-assemble.

If you did not know what gear your hub was in, moved the shifter while the wheel was out, when you reassemble the shifter might be set for the wrong gear.  For example, you reassemble and your shifter says you only have gears 3 through 14.  In this case, your lowest gear in the hub is gear one, but your shifter thinks that is gear three.  Set it to the lowest gear, unscrew the thumb screw, remove the EX box, set the shifter for gear 1, reassemble and everything should be fine.

Or if you only had gears 1 through 12, you know that 12 is the highest gear, so unscrew and remove the EX box, set shifter to 14, reassemble.

It is really quite simple.

If you have used indexed derailleur bikes for a long time, you are used to shifters that have no slack in the shift cables, the cables are always tight.  Rohloff has the indexing in the hub, you need to leave some slack in the cables for best shifting performance, so your shifter will feel a bit loose.  It takes a little time to get used to that, but it is not a problem in any way.

The big thumbscrew on the very dirty looking part that hangs down that the cables feed into is the thumbscrew on the EX box.  (Thorn recommends against kickstands the way I mounted mine, pretend you did not see the kickstand.)  No tools are needed to undo the thumbscrew.

Thank you for posting the photo and giving an explanation. Much appreciated as it looks the same as the rear-end of my new Mercury Mk3. One thing still puzzles me. What is the 'coin slot' widget in the middle of the box for? I keep looking at it and have resisted the temptation to fiddle just in case a spring goes whizzing past my ear.

Aleman

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 09:11:14 am »
The coin slot thingy is the thumbscrew that everyone is talking about ... put Rohloff in gear 14, undo the coin slot thingy (you only need a coin in the slot if some idiot has done it up to hard!!) Remove the ex box, undo QR, drop wheel.

I can't believe just how easy it is to drop out, and refit the wheel on our Raven Twin with the EX box fitted ... just need a bit of care to refit because of the Hope Disc. Now on our Dawes derailleur tandem, it's a whole different ball game, because of the drag brake (No Feckin QR on that cable GRRRR!, Plus the mount for the arm) on the "Clean" side", and of course the derailleur mech on the other side. Painful, slow, and messy, although have only had to do it twice in the wild (on the same tour) since buying it in 1989.

KDean

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 01:48:00 pm »
"It's easier than on a  derailleur " Why didn't someone say that in the fist place .

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 06:31:31 pm »
Next time you go to a dentist or doctor, ask if they have a few spare pair of disposable gloves you can have.  If you have to fix a flat on the road, your hands will be cleaner.  I keep a pair of disposable gloves with my spare inner tube on my bike.

I often have a coating of oil or grease on some of those parts near the EX box.  And there should be a bit of grease inside the EX box to prevent wear, it might also extend the life of the cables a bit.

One of my trips, I suspect that the airline had my rear bike wheel on its side, left hand side down.  Before the trip I changed oil in the hub at home, so it was topped up with oil.  And I think some of that oil ended up causing a rather greasy mess during my trip, photo shows what I mean.

But, the trip after that, I drained the oil and rinsed it at home before my trip.  Flew to my destination, and added the oil there.  I had a coating of oil but not that bad of a mess on that trip. 

energyman

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 10:14:42 pm »
...... and if you fit Marathon Plus tyres or any other "tight" tyre for that matter look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4     first.
Sure stops expletives becoming part of tyre changing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:25:16 pm by energyman »

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 12:48:31 am »
"It's easier than on a  derailleur " Why didn't someone say that in the fist place .

Probably because most of us do not care to remember derailleurs even pejoratively...

leftpoole

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 11:28:32 am »
Andre should use words more elegantly! Why not simply say 'disparagingly' ?  8) 8)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 11:57:10 am »
Andre should use words more elegantly! Why not simply say 'disparagingly' ?  8) 8)

I had to look that look that one up. But hey-ho, it helped me learn one of my 5 new things a day.*

Also helped me with my CROOCHIE-PROOCHLES and MISSLIENESS.

Best

Matt.

* At task I sometimes fail but aspire to.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 01:20:28 pm »

I had to look that look that one up. But hey-ho, it helped me learn one of my 5 new things a day.*

Also helped me with my CROOCHIE-PROOCHLES and MISSLIENESS.

Best

Matt.

* At task I sometimes fail but aspire to.

Here's one for you, Matt:
Charisma is the art of discombobulating the merely elegant by being effortlessly efficient.

Pejoratively and disparagingly don't mean the same thing, Leftpoole. I didn't reject disparagingly only for the ugly architecture of its -ingly formation, but because pejoratively better fits the meaning and impact I aimed for. It's more efficient to use the precise word that carries your meaning. Try Fowler for the subtle differences between words which to the careless -- or the "elegant!" -- may seem similar.

We're being very rude to the OP, who is probably hoping to hear something relevant to extracting the rear wheel from the frame rather than just excuses for Leftpoole to raise the profile of his two netsites by republishing the links to his sites.

steve216c

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2021, 11:02:05 pm »
...... and if you fit Marathon Plus tyres or any other "tight" tyre for that matter look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4     first.
Sure stops expletives becoming part of tyre changing.

I wish I'd known the trick with the straps he used mounting the tyre. My Schwalbe winter spikes area pig to change and where I needed to get help from the wife to hold the tyre in place as I struggled getting the bead over the rim. Next tyre change will certainly contain less expletives than the last one after that great video tip. Thanks for sharing.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2021, 08:18:38 am »
I wish I'd known the trick with the straps he used mounting the tyre. My Schwalbe winter spikes area pig to change and where I needed to get help from the wife to hold the tyre in place as I struggled getting the bead over the rim. Next tyre change will certainly contain less expletives than the last one after that great video tip. Thanks for sharing.
I use some long velcro cable ties to provide extra hands to help hold awkward tyres in place. They live in the bag on the bike and could be useful for other applications in an emergency.

Aleman

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2021, 02:11:53 pm »
Never use a little word when a diminutive one will do ;)

leftpoole

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 02:33:32 pm »
Actually I’m of the opinion that just because I have a couple of links to some photographs, it doesn’t mean people actually view them!
I think that to ‘talk’ about things other than Rohloff is all good thing.
I think people are of the opinion ( experience in meeting  others) that Thorn only make Rohloff hubbed bicycles. It is a real shame. I ve owned a couple of Rohloff bikes and I’ve owned and ridden dozens derailleur bicycles. I like those massively heavy Rohloff fitted cycles, but a very very much lighter ride with derailleur fitted bikes and drop handlebars for ‘proper’ cycling are understated on this Forum.
Getting to language use,,,,,,, it breaks up the monotony of learning how to translate Americanising of the English language. ‘ Swap’ out for example should read simply as ‘swap over ‘ or ‘change’.