Author Topic: Rohloff Gear cables  (Read 1992 times)

Aleman

Rohloff Gear cables
« on: September 17, 2020, 01:13:05 pm »
After you have finally cut your outer gear housings to length for your Rohloff EX box, having left them a little long originally, Do try and ensure that when you trim your inner cables, you pick up the 200mm long tube you used to trim them to length originally, and NOT a random tube you had lying about ... That turns out to be 160mm long  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Be especially careful not to do this to the other cable once you know the first cable was too short!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[  :'( :'( :'(

Not many local bike shops carry tandem length Shimano gear inners round here  >:( >:( >:(

Measure Twice, Cut Once!! The other way round sometimes works, but 99% of the time things don't fit well

PH

Re: Rohloff Gear cables
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 11:26:16 pm »
Ouch!
Are the outers not long enough to remove 4cm?

Aleman

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 09:16:54 am »
I could get away with removing 4cm from the outers, but it would have made them just a bit tight at the extreme ends of the steering travel. Luckily for me a mate has Wiggle+ so ordered 4 cables with next day delivery so the bike wasn't out of action at all really ... The other "Upside" is that I now have spare gear cables for the singles in my stable ... and possibly even the other tandem :D

PH

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 12:17:59 pm »
Glad it was quickly sorted.  If it's any consolation, you're not the only one - I needed to shorten mine by 2cm when I lowered the bars, cut both the outers, cut 2cm off inner cable 1, dropped something, then cut another 2cm of the same cable... Luckily I had a bit of spare to take off the outer.  My outers now have a bit of tape to identify the top cable, and I always have spare cables in stock.