Author Topic: Mercury 610L Price drop SOLD  (Read 3011 times)

Swislon

Mercury 610L Price drop SOLD
« on: August 24, 2020, 05:04:23 pm »
Thorn Mercury 610L
Blue Imron
Fork MER853VC MkII Steel
Rohloff silver with 19 tooth sprocket
Thorn Chainring 45 Tooth and 170mm cranks
TRP Spyke rear disc brake, XT front V brake
XT Brake levers
DT Swiss R460 Rims, Hope RS4 front hub and Rohloff rear
Tubeless Scwalbe G One 35mm tyres
Brooks C17 saddle
Flat bars with Ergon GP5 grips
Tubus Airy titanium rack plus rear light
SKS P45 mudguards
Various pedals available or different stems if needed
Bought in October 2017
Immaculate condition. Two tiny chips in paint but not through to bare steel and both touched up.
Probably ridden no more than 2500 miles
£1,950
Based in Dorchester but happy to meet up within reason.
Cheers
Steve

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151179484@N05/albums/72157715601669768
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 11:49:30 am by Swislon »

StillOld

Re: Mercury 610L
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 03:34:43 pm »
Hi Steve

I currently ride a Thorn Nomad with Rohloff. I was just a casual tourer, training for a few months and then wandering around camping and enjoying the outdoors once a year, normally in Scotland. However I now find myself riding all year, mainly to keep fit/alive at 60 yrs.

I am after a slightly lighter and less weight carrying bicycle (the Nomad handles better when carrying all my gear) .

Am I right in thinking the Mercury is in the 13kg region, and has 700c wheels? Do you know the weight of yours in the current set up? I appreciate there are a lot of variables to make a bicycle easier to ride but my Nomad is just under 20kg with 26" and I fancy something different for daily riding.

Gary

Swislon

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 03:59:37 pm »
Hi Gary,
There was a time Thorn put approximate weights on their proposed builds but they seem to have stopped doing that now. We don’t have any scales here but I think that weight of about 13 kgs is about right. The wheels are 700c and it was built with all year round riding and credit card touring in mind. I haven’t managed to do any tours on it but have used it for day rides up in North Yorkshire and then down here in Dorset when we moved a couple of years ago.
Perfect for the hills around here.
Steve

PH

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 09:41:32 pm »
Am I right in thinking the Mercury is in the 13kg region, and has 700c wheels? Do you know the weight of yours in the current set up? I appreciate there are a lot of variables to make a bicycle easier to ride but my Nomad is just under 20kg with 26" and I fancy something different for daily riding.

Gary
If I could but in - I have the same size Mercury, with heavier rims, dynamo and lights, different titanium rack, 35/32 Supreme tyres which I think are a little heavier, otherwise similar spec.  I did go on a bit of a weight saving binge a couple of years ago, there's a thread about it somewhere, I got it down to 13.2, but it's crept back up to 13.6. 
I've never had a Nomad, but my first Thorn was the original Raven Tour, it's hard to imagine two touring bikes as different to each other as the Raven and Mercury.  The Raven did the job, but the Mercury is fun.  It is still a touring bike though, there is IMO still a fair gap between it and an Audax bike, though I'm happy to use mine for Audax. 
I have always liked it, but over time it's grown on me, to the extent that when I wrote it off a couple of months ago I didn't consider replacing it with anything else but the same. If Steve had been a bit quicker putting his up for sale I'd have bought it in a flash.
Hope that helps

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 10:16:03 pm »
My Mercury in day riding mode with day tools and tubes but minus water and bar bag is 13.8kg. That includes the bar bag attachment and rack. It is the only Thorn I have owned so have no there’s nothing to compare but it is far from my first bike and it is a class of its own. I have managed tours up to a week in the UK using B&B and not camping. Having spent my career camping for a living I have spent enough time in tents.

martinf

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 12:55:29 am »
I am after a slightly lighter and less weight carrying bicycle (the Nomad handles better when carrying all my gear) .

I was in a similar position, with a Raven Tour set up for cycle-camping, heavy rims, wide 50 mm tyres, front and rear racks. Not quite as heavy or bomb-proof as a Nomad, but very good for it's intended use and quite capable for moderate off-road riding with a touring load. But not very lively for unloaded day rides on good roads.

For the day ride role, instead of a Mercury I got one of the last Raven Sport Tour frames and built that up with fairly light components and relatively narrow 35 mm tyres.

There is a noticeable difference between the two bikes.

StillOld

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 08:35:35 am »
Thanks for the additional tips...all helps.

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 09:59:46 am »
I agree with what the others have said about the difference in what are otherwise quite similar bikes. I had a raven tour which was great loaded but just a bit solid for day rides. I switched to a sport tour which was a great improvement. I expect the RST and mercury have a lot in common but different wheels. If swislon was a tad smaller I might be very interested!

Swislon

Re: Mercury 610L Price drop
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:00 pm »
Price drop to £1,950

martinblain

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 05:54:01 pm »
Hi,

I'm interested in your bike, can I ask how tall you are?

Regards,

Martin

Swislon

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 11:08:48 am »
Hi Martin,
I am 6’ 1.5”

Cheers Steve

Martin Blain

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 11:24:09 am »
Hi Steve,

Could I arrange to view the bike? I'm the same height.

I'm based near Frome, my personal email is martinblain@lessonmoore.co.uk, number is 01761 233026.

Regards,

Martin

Swislon

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 11:33:22 am »
Hi Martin,
I’m just going out so will text you or phone you later
Cheers
Steve