Author Topic: secondhand value of a Thorn Club Tour  (Read 1818 times)

suechoccy

secondhand value of a Thorn Club Tour
« on: August 19, 2020, 03:03:20 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and reason for joining/posting is to ask what the approximate secondhand value might be of this Thorn Club Tour bike.  It was owned by a good cycling friend of mine, Darren Myers, who died last year, and his widow (who's not a cyclist) has asked if I can help her value and sell it.

She can't remember how old the bike is, but Darren did upgrade/replace some components on the bike.

I'm not up on Thorn bikes at all and have asked among my clubmates in Crest CC but nobody so far has been able to help.

Thanks very much to anyone who's able to guide us a little!    The bike is in Northern Ireland.

Pavel

Re: secondhand value of a Thorn Club Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:40:36 pm »
Bicycle monetary value is one of those difficult to ascertain. It seems to depend on how rare or how valuable to the purchaser some aspect of the bike is.  I believe that very small or very large frame sizes would be more valuable as they are often less available, but have to data to back that up.  But over the years of watching what used bicycles sell for, it seems that they have very low monetary value, compared to the sums needed to buy new.
But whatever the eventual price outcome, now seems to be the best time in all my decades of cycling.  Here in the US you can hardly find a new bike to buy, and parts are missing from inventory in unheard of degrees.  In one of my local shops, the owner told me last month that he had sold five months of inventory in three weeks, and almost nothing was available to order.

Now as far as second hand value of the proper sort, the exercise and emotional outlook value, the thorn is an exceptionally valuable item.  ;)

PH

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 05:15:07 pm »
Nice steel touring bikes, without any serious rust and looking in decent condition, that also have serviceable components and those components are currently still easily available tend to sell for between £400 - 600, though I've occasionally seen some given away for less and even more occasionally fetch a bit more. It's a bit shocking when you consider what they cost new, but they are an enthusiasts bike and they we can be a fussy bunch.
Of course, find someone who particularly wants it and they might pay more, though your location may either increase the value or diminish the market.

suechoccy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 09:12:14 pm »
Thank you, both very good comments.   

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 10:02:57 pm »
When I need to determine the value of an item I am considering for sale, I go to eBay and look at "Completed Listings" to see what the same or similar items sold for in the past.

Often, the asking prices on eBay are unrealistically high (if BuyItNow) or unrealistically low (as when starting an initial bid). The closing price is the best indicator. If you do this, also check the time of year when the item closed. Some items sell for more depending on the season.

Best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 10:14:10 am »
Hello,
The bike shown in the photograph is 'worth' between £300-500. (Based on experience) Ebay maybe but on this Forum can yield results.
Unfortunately because the bike is in Ireland you have a reduced market of course. That is unless you can pack it into a box and post.
Best of luck selling at what is/was a sad time for its current owner.
Regards,
John

Pavel

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 04:59:18 pm »
I was struck by this when I first looked at the photo, but didn't know what it was.  Now I know - the bike looks almost vintage to me.  I'm not sure what it is, perhaps the logo's are now dated (in a very nice way) or maybe it is some other aspect.  Did anyone else get the same sense?

It seems that a quality bike goes through about thirty years or so, similar to vintage automobiles.  At first it's shinny and new, then used, then old junk, and then it mellows into a slow re-apreciation, and a steep value appreciation for a few out of the lot, when nostalgia strikes.

I wonder if, and then when, this may happen to some of the earlier Thorns?  Certainly when the shop closes up, or is sold to a large less soulful enterprise.  I hope Robin and company are all taking care of themselves, leading a stress free life, popping daily vitamins and looking forward to retiring very late in life.

Even if I stop cycling, I'll be keeping all my Thorns.  They already trigger memories that glow to much to be at all accurate. But that is just fine. :D

PH

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 07:56:19 pm »
I was struck by this when I first looked at the photo, but didn't know what it was.  Now I know - the bike looks almost vintage to me.  I'm not sure what it is, perhaps the logo's are now dated (in a very nice way) or maybe it is some other aspect.  Did anyone else get the same sense?
Interesting you should think that, in some ways traditional touring bikes are timeless, in others there's certain give aways - this one is an 1 1/8th headset and the sticker appears to be Reynolds 725, to me, that would place it no more than 20 years old, If we had to guess I'd go for 2005, though I could be out five years either side.

suechoccy

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 07:42:03 pm »
Hi,
Thanks everyone for your comments which have been really useful and kind, and which I'll pass onto Darren's widow now.     Between us we can't remember the age of it, somewhere between 10-15 years we think.   

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 09:35:30 pm »
Hello!

How does she / you plan to sell the bike?  Would it help if someone here posted some info on the sort of information that would be useful to put in an advert? 

e.g. frame size and where to find it?  cassette / chain ring range?  and so on?  It needn't be very long, but may help people if the bike is for them or not.

Lewis