Author Topic: Rohloff oil leak?  (Read 6637 times)

KvBCycles

Rohloff oil leak?
« on: August 16, 2020, 03:49:15 pm »
Afternoon guys, looking for advice please.
This morning a had a rear wheel puncture and while I was waiting for the patch to set I did some cleaning and wiping of the transmission, including the Rohloff hub and the cable box which was oily, and I thought nothing of it.
However, a few hours later I noticed that the back of the cable box appeared to be wet again and upon closer inspection, it does seem to be oil...I've attached a picture for you to see for yourself, but this looks to me to be an oil leak from the hub...am I right and should I be concerned, not only about the leak but where the leak is from?
Thank you.

WorldTourer

Re: Rohloff oil leak?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 04:45:20 pm »
Rohloffs naturally sweat oil through the axle of the hub, this is actually OK and not a cause for concern provided that you are doing your re-oiling procedure in a timely manner. So, if it looks like your quick release got oily and some oil leaked out there to surrounding areas like the top of the cable box, just clean it off.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 01:11:02 am »
In a similar vein

Due to lockdown here in Victoria OZ we are only permitted an hour a day for exercise and it must take place within a 5km radius of home.

So as it is quite flat around my home have been riding fixed for the last six weeks or so.
However I needed to carry some stuff the other day so I got the Mercury out of the shed as it has a pannier and a bar bag.
The drain plug was facing downward when I left the bike and there was oil leakage from the plug.
I am pretty sure that I used a new plug with the stuff on the threads at the last oil change.
I am not worried about insufficient oil in the hub but has anyone else experienced this?

Mike

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:25:08 am »
Australian Govt officials seem to have lost their minds.  Who care how far and for how long you go on a solitary ride, as long as you stay away from kissing strangers. 

Here where I live they are completely ignoring our more sensible (though some of the details makes one scratch their head) suggestions.  Especially people under 30 or so.  Not sure how I feel about it all, but I guess your's Mike is not quite the country that Crocodile Dundee made it out to be. I just hope you can confirm that you all still carry large knives.  ;)

I had the choice to immigrate to the US or to Australia once.  The USA was under my own power, but to Sidney it had to be under my fathers papers and he decided to move to Hawaii.

My Rohloff does not sweat nor leak oil in any way, but it is from 2011 and I believe they changed the seals a few years later, where such is normal and of no concern.  From what I know, it is not meant to run in an oil bath, just simply to coat the gears with a very light amount. 

Mike Ayling

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 02:59:19 am »
Amplification- the 5km bubble also restricts the area in which one may shop.
They are trying to keep people close to home and not travel across town to potentially infect people there.
Just like in your country the polis frown on people carrying knives of any size now.
Crocodile Dundee was almost 40 years ago!

Mike 

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 03:31:07 am »
"Knives", Pavel?  I think it was, "Walk softly, and carry a big shtick."  ;)

On the self-oiling question:  I have a bit of seepage around the axle on the drive side. No sweat,tho'.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 03:56:16 am »
I think that in addressing the would be mugger Dundee replied something along the lines of

That's not a knife this is a knife and produced an item with a very large blade.

Mike

in4

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 06:16:11 am »
As a former Territorian I rarely saw anyone carrying a knife similar to Mick Dundee’s. What continues to be carried in many a ute in The NT is a quite different matter entirely. Apart from that, many male ute drivers wear precious little when driving during the wet season. An encounter with either the former or latter prospect is one not to be considered lightly!

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 07:56:43 am »
Did I hear someone call me?

Listening to the forum on my treadmill can be very disorienting...

KvBCycles

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 08:28:37 am »
Rohloffs naturally sweat oil through the axle of the hub, this is actually OK and not a cause for concern provided that you are doing your re-oiling procedure in a timely manner. So, if it looks like your quick release got oily and some oil leaked out there to surrounding areas like the top of the cable box, just clean it off.
OK great thank you for the advice. I'd just done the 3rd oil change (15000km) but I'll keep it clean etc etc.
Had to laugh at the direction this thread took...

Pavel

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 08:27:25 pm »
I think that in addressing the would be mugger Dundee replied something along the lines of

That's not a knife this is a knife and produced an item with a very large blade.

Mike

That was one memorable movie line!  But I'm quite sure it was just yesterday. :D

I wonder if we could translate that bit of comedy to Rohloff hubs, and their impressive size?  A bit of oil should be seen as a mileage status symbol, I feel. 

An overly clean bike strikes me as a bike not properly adventuring. A sort of Rohloff abuse, if you will.

Am I correct that Rohloff did change the seals a few years back?  I seem to think it was so that the cranks would not spin forward, as some new owners criticized the hub for doing, if the bike was pushed.  But I also think I recall that there was not such a fuss and the same need to change the oil after a river crossing, if the hub got wet, but not much submerged.  But I'm not certain of any of that.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 09:23:07 pm »
The Crocodile Dundee film was released on 24 April 1986, i.e. 34 years ago!

Mike

ringle1968

• Where Ingles Dare
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 11:47:35 am »
KvB - I watch your YouTube videos sometimes.  Nice job!

I also have a Nomad Mk2.   Purchased last year and cycled to Budapest (and back) from the Channel Islands during Summer 2019.   I've just performed an oil change on my (and my wife's Rohloff).  Based on my research beforehand, the hub has a tendency to sweat/leak more if you refill the hub with the full 25ml of replacement oil.  Not sure if this is the case for you?    The general consensus (and the Thorn Owner Guide) seems to suggest to add a much lower level of oil (as little as 8ml) as the hub never fully drains when you wash it out with cleaning oil.

Happy travelling!

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 06:45:31 pm »
I'm so glad I don't have the leaky QR hub. Mine has 17,000 miles and actually lost less fluid the last period. 37 to 39 ml comes out, cleaner fluid and dirty oil.
I let the change go 4,200 and 3,900 miles on my tours. I did carry the oil kit anyway.
I always make sure the plug is up when parked, necessary or not. I have reused them too.
I always put in a full 25 ml. Doesn't seem to quiet it at all. LOL.
I didn't notice any leaks after flights either. Maybe the box was standing right side up. I have the spare seals and tools, still unused.

Pavel

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 06:48:10 pm »
GamblerGord ... what year did you buy your Rohloff?  I'm still wondering if the older models leaked less, due to seal differences.