Author Topic: Salt Lake City  (Read 5236 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Salt Lake City
« on: February 21, 2020, 02:02:35 am »
I was in a bike shop today in Salt Lake City. Behind the counter I spotted - a Thorn Nomad MkII! The first time I have seen a Thorn other than my own! I chatted a bit with the owner - the bike is pretty old but new to him. Red hubs, Rohloff and SON dynamo - one of those spherical things - mine is a boring cylinder.

mickeg

Re: Salt Lake City
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 11:49:33 am »
Behind the counter, one of the employee bikes?  Or for sale?  In for service?

Just curious, I do not need another.

I have not seen another Thorn in USA.  But I am in Madison WI, last summer I learned that there are two new Thorn Ravens in my community from a trip log on Crazy Guy on a Bike.  I have not seen them or met the owner yet, they apparently reside less than a km from where I buy groceries.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 07:32:16 pm »
The Nomad I saw belongs to the guy that owns the shop. He was rather elusive about how he got the bike. It sounded a bit like somebody paid a debt with the bike - something the owner would not want to do again and didn't even want to do the first time. I need to chat with the guy some more. He said he rides around routinely in gear 9 and so he thinks the bike is geared too low. Actually, I would say that cruising in gear 9 is probably about perfect!

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 09:53:11 pm »
The Nomad I saw belongs to the guy that owns the shop. He was rather elusive about how he got the bike. It sounded a bit like somebody paid a debt with the bike - something the owner would not want to do again and didn't even want to do the first time. I need to chat with the guy some more. He said he rides around routinely in gear 9 and so he thinks the bike is geared too low. Actually, I would say that cruising in gear 9 is probably about perfect!

Around home I am usually in gear 10 or 11 on flat ground (44T chainring, 16T sprocket), but for touring I gear it down about one and a half gears.  So an unladen bike on flat ground in my touring setup (36T chainring, 16T sprocket), I would typically be in gear 12.

Thus, if he is usually in gear nine for around town riding, sounds to me like it is geared a bit high.  Or, maybe he is a spinner and likes high cadence.

But like all things, there is personal preference.