Author Topic: Why are some bikes so complicated??  (Read 2035 times)

lewis noble

Why are some bikes so complicated??
« on: July 02, 2020, 06:55:12 pm »
Sometimes I'm reminded how important it is to forsee future maintenance problems . . . . and much easier it is to fix a bike with decent components and sound basic design.

My son enjoys cycling, usually as a commuter on a well-used hybrid; recently, a friend of his (a guy who can afford to chop and change his bikes frequently) gave him a very light carbon road bike.  It had been in store for about a year, but Joe started riding it and really enjoyed it, some good and fast rides in the hilly terrain round Sheffield.

In the first week, the hanger broke, rear mech snapped.  I think he was able to find replacements, from a local bike recycling centre, and was able to reuse the gear cable.  In 4 weeks he has had more problems that my 14 years with Thorns.

The cables are internal routed - I warned him to take great care and check the best way to safeguard route - I've never done one.  I found in my box of spares some fine plastic tubing, told him to use that as a routeing protector.  He fixed all that fine, then found they brakes were stiff / partly seized.  This time, he found the internal routeing  access plate screw stripped, and he lost the cables inside somehow, I think having managed it easily first time was lulled into a false sense of security.

He eventually managed to retrieve things, hours of work, using hooked waxed thread, and a vacuum cleaner (blocking off all other 'holes' in the frame . . . . and his 4 yr old child was able to grab cable!!  And I found another piece of the thin tubing, which apparently is very hard to obtain . . . .

What a pain!! The adverts say 'lowers wind resistance, improves appearance, easier to keep clean . . . ' Cleaning the exposed areas has never presented a problem to me . . . . and my guess is that the complications means that the cables are just never lubed!

I just hope no-one sets off on a long tour with these cables, and, unprepared, lands themselves in trouble . . . . .and I think I can live with any increased wind resistance . . . .

Lewis

leftpoole

Re: Why are some bikes so complicated??
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:44:52 pm »
Lewis,
 :( :( :( :( :(
John

Mike Ayling

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 01:55:03 am »
Of course you could just run replacement cables externally and attach to the frame with cable ties!

Mike.

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:12:29 pm »
I think it nearly came to that, Mike!

Lewis