Author Topic: A quick hello.  (Read 5708 times)

lewis noble

Re: A quick hello.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2020, 05:11:15 pm »
I've used stem risers, as described by John / leftpoole, and found them fine, though they do seem to add a sense of 'clutter' to the headset area, if this is important to you.  I bought mine from sjsc, as it seemed important to get a quality product in a safety-crucial area.  One of the risers I got is still in regular use several years later, in a bike that fitted a relative well in all areas except bar height. 

As with all components, important to free up and crease thinly periodically, if they seize in no end of hassle results . . . .

I've also used a 45 deg rise stem and found it fine, some people say changes handling, I didn't notice a difference.  Bear in mind, if you do decide on this route, that a steeper angle shortens the effective reach slightly. 

Lewis

PH

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2020, 10:43:43 pm »
I wonder if SJS Cycles offer it as a service at all..
I don't think they've done any in-house frame building for a number of years. I'd be very surprised if steerer tubes were not pretty standard and that any frame builder could do it.  Maybe someone could recommend one local to you.

leftpoole

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 09:47:11 am »
As a help, here is one that I described.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Bicycle-Quill-Stem-Adapter-Extender-Riser-22-2-25-4mm-28-6mm-Adaptor-UK/324204397847?hash=item4b7c168517:g:a6gAAOSws-xe7auY

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deda-Elementi-Adapter-22-2mm-25-4mm/dp/B0083QRHAE/ref=pd_sbs_200_1/262-2339586-2917953?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0083QRHAE&pd_rd_r=c44f0fc0-d4c4-40f0-8f0c-c3c3d320d19b&pd_rd_w=anMvR&pd_rd_wg=kFBLz&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=2SRSKE3NB288F031KS1E&psc=1&refRID=2SRSKE3NB288F031KS1E

Do these quill stem risers work with the gentlemans bicycle headset? I thought one must have the threaded type headset in order to use quill style stems that secure via wedge clamp. The picture of the bicycle looks to have a threadless headset with star nut inside the steerer as such the ergotec one linked by the new owner will be suitable.
Maybe the product linked below be another option to help dial in adjustment for both height and reach. Do check the safety information in the datasheet first before making decision because there will likely be a minimum amount of available steerer required for the riser to clamp safely to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satori-400441-Height-Adapter-Black/dp/B005PM5S5A/ref=asc_df_B005PM5S5A/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341145103353&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6096169901531691737&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045649&hvtargid=pla-562688850427&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Kind Regards,
Kyle

I really do despair sometimes. I wonder why I bother to offer advice based on experience. Sometimes!
Please read the suggested offering. It works with the Thorn steerer as fitted.
Regarding Lewis mentioning clutter, I am uncertain what he means.
The steerer extender does not show, nobody would ever know it was there. The star nut is simply pushed down the steer or if very clever tilted to one side and pulled out. A thread is in the top of the extended riser.
NOBODY will even see it!
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/a6gAAOSws-xe7auY/s-l1600.jpg

These things are designed for whatever size is required.
Regarding steerer replacement. I had one replaced on one of my recent restorations. It was done by Argos racing cycles (Bristol) at the same time as the repaint. It costs £69 but it does burn the paint on the fork. It mattered not to me because the whole frame was being painted.
I really do hope that I have answered the questions asked.
Best regards,
John

John Saxby

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 03:17:46 pm »
You're right, John.

I have a quill-style steerer extender on my derailleur bike.  It's a BBB product, purchased from the UK via eBay.  Two seasons on, works very well -- raised my bars 50 mm, greatly improved the comfort of the bike, no problems with installation or since.

energyman

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 03:42:39 pm »
I bought a Mercian 2nd hand, the stem was too short so I bought a stem extender from SJS.  It works fine but I agree with the "clutter" description.  Mercian do fork mods I believe which may be my next option.
Still prefer my RST though.  Lisa did my bike fit beautifully at SJS years ago.
Lovely the photos of the bike - happy riding.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:46:04 pm by energyman »

spoof

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 04:23:48 pm »
No need to despair, I have learnt something new and thank you kindly for the clarifying how they operate to help my understanding.

Regards,
Kyle

Andre Jute

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 11:03:57 pm »
If a clean look is desired even with high handlebars, it should be possible to buy an uncut (looooong) steerer tube, have it fitted uncut and get the fitter to provide a length of ali tube to just fit over the steerer for its full length, painted or anodised same colour as the bike. The steerer and the tube can then be cut to size in the light of experience, taking off a little a few times rather than too much at one time. Considering the cost of spacers and the ugliness of the brand advertising on them, I don't think this will cost much more than commercial spacers -- commercial spacers are nothing but short lengths of the same ali tube or even plastic.

PH

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 11:18:19 pm »
I really do despair sometimes. I wonder why I bother to offer advice based on experience.
Me too, but you have to get used to it, that's just the way forums are, people either don't read something properly, or have failed to understand, or something else.
For example:
Regarding steerer replacement.
No one has suggested replacement.

leftpoole

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 07:34:16 am »
If a clean look is desired even with high handlebars, it should be possible to buy an uncut (looooong) steerer tube, have it fitted uncut and get the fitter to provide a length of ali tube to just fit over the steerer for its full length, painted or anodised same colour as the bike. The steerer and the tube can then be cut to size in the light of experience, taking off a little a few times rather than too much at one time. Considering the cost of spacers and the ugliness of the brand advertising on them, I don't think this will cost much more than commercial spacers -- commercial spacers are nothing but short lengths of the same ali tube or even plastic.

SJSC Thorn do sell very wide spacers which from recollection are up to 4 inches in width!
John