Author Topic: SWB Mercury  (Read 3708 times)

PH

SWB Mercury
« on: June 28, 2020, 05:57:26 pm »
I'll put this here as it certainly comes under the Muppet category.
Did this to me Mercury a couple of weeks ago, by riding into the back of a car (No, I'm not elaborating), frame and forks written off. Shortened my face by the corresponding amount, though that isn't a write off and is healing well, twisted a knee which is still keeping me off the bike (Well not this one obviously).  New frameset on order - I've gone for as close to the same thing as possible, which is either an indication that I lack imagination or how well this bike suits me.  Insurance claim was simple, I'll post details on the appropriate board.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: SWB Mercury
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:21:07 pm »
Ouch!...in many ways.  :o :'(

I'm surely sorry you suffered this mishap, PH, and I'm hoping you'll soon be fully healed and feeling better yourself. A pity about the bike, but so long as you're largely okay, so is that in the scheme of things.

Since we can all have "moments" we'd wish to avoid and hearing how it happened to others can help in that regard...what led up to this?

Did someone pull out in front of you? A moment's inattention? I know I've been tired enough at the end of some 400km day rides, I was seeing two lane marker lines on the pavement. One of my biggest fears is getting "door-nailed" by someone opening a car door in my path. I've come real close but fortunately missed.

All good and healing thoughts! Looking forward to seeing the revitalized bike.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:21:45 pm by Danneaux »

macspud

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:07:05 pm »
Oh no, what a shame. That's a sad sight to see. My condolences. 

PH

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 01:11:21 pm »
Since we can all have "moments" we'd wish to avoid and hearing how it happened to others can help in that regard...what led up to this?
I ran into the back of a car, it stopped I didn't.  There isn't really much more to add without it seeming like the sorts of excuses I wouldn't listen too, I've placed it in the Muppet board for that reason.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:44:30 pm »
Hope you're recovering quickly, Muppet. Pity about your beautiful bike but rather a replaceable machine than a person.

Pavel

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:19 am »
Oh that hurts to look at.  Perhaps it could be ridden in a leftward circle, or straight if leaned to the right a lot?  I just does not seem right to give up on something so good looking ( before the lapse of attention, I mean). 

I'm glad you are ok.  That is always the thing to keep in perspective - to ride (a thorn, of course) another day.  Hope you heal quickly!

PH

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 08:37:17 pm »
I'm glad you are ok.  That is always the thing to keep in perspective - to ride (a thorn, of course) another day.  Hope you heal quickly!
Thanks, the bike made a full recovery quicker than I have, nothing serious, just a bit of knee discomfort, something in normal times I'd be getting some physio for, but having to DIY it.
So, my MKIII frame sits in the corner of the room, rebuilt with a couple of minor upgrades, but unridden, maybe next month.

Tiberius

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 08:44:02 am »
Just looking at that pic'...As the frame/fork was a write off I'm surprised that the front wheel APPEARS to have got off quite lightly - it might be just the picture ??

All the best for a speedy recovery.

PH

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 01:42:43 pm »
Just looking at that pic'...As the frame/fork was a write off I'm surprised that the front wheel APPEARS to have got off quite lightly - it might be just the picture ??

All the best for a speedy recovery.
Yes, I thought the same though it is apparently not uncommon for a wheel to survive an impact that writes a fork and/or frame off.
I hasn't got off unscathed, although it's still pretty round the SON hub is grinding to the extent that it isn't usable.  I have a spare so I'm not sure what to do with it, I may at some point send it off for repair, but I'm in no hurry.  In another big up for the TSB insurance - The damage report noted the grinding and that it would need investigation by the manufacturer to determine if it was repairable and the insurers paid out based on it needing replacement.

Tiberius

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 01:54:25 pm »
PH....I've read your threads here and on CUK re that TSB insurance. Great to hear that there are some 'good guys' in the insurance world.

Pavel

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 05:18:27 pm »
You could always retire that frame and fork by hanging it on the wall in the living room.  Wall art, that is sure to be a conversation starter?

PH

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 02:09:01 pm »
You could always retire that frame and fork by hanging it on the wall in the living room.  Wall art, that is sure to be a conversation starter?
The frame is a bit boring, but the forks may end up as a lamp  ;)