Author Topic: Removing Gates threaded Sprocket  (Read 4556 times)

capnahab

Removing Gates threaded Sprocket
« on: June 27, 2020, 02:04:21 pm »
I have had a Gates first generation belt on my Rohloff Road bike for about three years. I have never really got on with it having had a chain before. I haven't been able to convince myself it is less efficient than the chain. I have tried numerous changes of belt tension and now have it pretty slack with a snubber. I currently need a more forgiving gear ratio and to change things is going to cost me about £3-400 because of having to upgrade to the CDC belt as mine is now obsolete. ]
Can I change back to chain drive ?, can I do it myself or does it need to go to rohloff?.
Cheers
Nick
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:24:48 am by capnahab »

PH

Re: Change from belt back to chain
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 10:20:54 pm »
What a shame you don't get on with it, at least it's something you've tried. 
I don't know the answer to your question, EDIT - Which became very evident from macspud's reply!!
Good luck
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:01:09 am by PH »

macspud

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 06:24:55 am »

Can I change back to chain drive ?, can I do it myself or does it need to go to rohloff?.
Cheers
Nick

You would be able to do it yourself. It would be a case of unscrewing The gates cog and replacing it with a splined carrier and cog. To remove the gates drive sprocket is the same as removing a screw-on chain sprocket (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzSFPcfWhb0) but instead of using a chainwhip, you will need a belt wrench, such as (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4aZhCOKhwE). Other ways of unscrewing the gates cog can be cobbled together (https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gear-hubs/help-how-remove-belt-sprocket-rohloff-hub-909681.html). You will need a chainwhip to tighten the replacement sprocket and splined carrier. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:27:50 am by macspud »

martinf

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 07:29:14 am »
You will need a chainwhip to tighten the replacement sprocket and splined carrier.

I think a chainwhip 1s only necessary for removal, the sprocket/carrier can be hand tightened and will tighten completely while riding.

There will also be a cost for changing the front part of the belt drive, at worst it might involve getting a different crankset and bottom bracket as well as a chainring?

capnahab

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:36:50 pm »
Many thanks MacSpud. This is perfect advice to give me the confidence to do it. Have ordered the bits. Will be back with how it went.

capnahab

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 10:55:55 pm »
The sprocket is a swine to get off, I have broken my strap wrench. The Gates strap wrench does not get a good mention. I thought I could use a belt but theres no way of holding it tight. Any solution that suggests a strap wrench seems doomed so  I have the Park Tools Bdt-1 on order.

capnahab

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 08:22:49 am »
The threaded carrier was not coming  off with a strap wrench, - including the rohloff one. I snapped a Boa strap wrench. In the end it took the attached tool by Park (what great tools) , a vice to hold the castellated Rohloff tool and two people to get the gates sprocket off.
I am very pleased to be back on the chain and a nice splined 16T sprocket. The bike is much quieter and smoother.

PH

Re: Removing Gates threaded Sprocket
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 11:40:25 am »
All's well that ends well, you've dampened my belt curiosity, though I was unlikely to try it in the foreseeable future. I hope you didn't have to buy that lovely tool just for the one use  :o

capnahab

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 08:17:32 am »
I am addicted to buying tools, and if they are the quality of Park it’s no worry. It’s a really good adjustable peg spanner for other things ( don’t ask me what just yet tho...)

Captain Bubble

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 04:43:50 am »
Does Rohloff give a torque figure for how tight the locking should be tightened to? Also might it not have been prudent to apply some anti-size paste or copper slip to the threads before putting it on to make removal much easier?

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 08:15:26 am »
Does Rohloff give a torque figure for how tight the locking should be tightened to?
Unless I'm confused (not unknown) screw-on carriers will tighten up under the load from belt / chain.

PH

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 09:38:57 am »
Does Rohloff give a torque figure for how tight the locking should be tightened to? Also might it not have been prudent to apply some anti-size paste or copper slip to the threads before putting it on to make removal much easier?
Yes, it'll be on the website or in the handbook, I think it's 30Nm but don't take my word for it.  I think they also advise against any threadlock or anti-seize, if you decide to use it you also need to take that into consideration as it alters the torque. 

PH

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:44:07 am »
Does Rohloff give a torque figure for how tight the locking should be tightened to?
Unless I'm confused (not unknown) screw-on carriers will tighten up under the load from belt / chain.
That would be correct.  Though it's not what's being discussed here, which is a splined carrier with a lockring holding the sprocket onto the carrier, the action of the sprocket with not be acting on the lockring.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 06:27:35 pm »
That would be correct.  Though it's not what's being discussed here, which is a splined carrier with a lockring holding the sprocket onto the carrier, the action of the sprocket with not be acting on the lockring.
Thanks for correcting me. I was too focussed on the thread title.