Author Topic: Newbie tyre/rim compatibility question  (Read 2543 times)

miken58b

Newbie tyre/rim compatibility question
« on: June 16, 2020, 12:09:45 pm »
Earlier this year I bought a Thorn Enduro MTB with Rohloff hub second hand.  I have so enjoyed riding it I now need to replace the tyres!  It has Mavic 891 rims and Continental Vapor tyres - a tubeless combination.  It looks like the Continental Vapor is no longer available and anyway I only occasionally go off road.  It see the Schwalbe Marathon Dureme HS410 26/2.0 is a recommended tyre but I can't figure out if it will work with the Mavic 891 rims and if it's OK for tubeless mounting.

Any advice (including other recommended replacement tyres) gratefully received.

Mike

martinf

Re: Newbie tyre/rim compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:18:30 pm »
I suppose you mean Mavic 819 (not found 891).

AFAIK the Schwalbe Marathon Dureme isn't tubeless compatible, so you would need another model of tyre.

For occasional off-road I find Marathon Supreme OK, in the 26"/2.0 size these are lighter than the Dureme and have a semi-slick tread. They roll better than Dureme on tarmac but they are also almost certainly more fragile, however I haven't yet damaged one in about 13,000 kms of use, mainly roads but occasional off-road. Unfortunately Schwalbe don't do the tubeless version of this tyre in 26". Their recent Gravel Bike tyres all seem to be in 650B and 700C (29er) sizes. It would probably worth looking at other manufacturers to see if they have anything suitable in 26".

The only tubeless compatible tyre I know about in the Schwalbe range that exists in 26" and is about the same size as the Dureme is the slightly larger Nobby Nic in their Evolution line, size ETRTO 54-559 (26 x 2.10 Pouces). This is a very light off-road tyre.

I suppose the Marathon Dureme or the Marathon Supreme would work on the Mavic rim if you fitted them with inner tubes.

I use latex inner tubes on some bikes, compared to ordinary butyl tubes these (IMO) add a bit of comfort and they are also supposed to be slightly more efficient. So perhaps a halfway house between butyl tubes and tubeless.

In my experience latex tubes have 3 drawbacks compared to butyl :
- more expensive
- lose pressure much faster
- perish after about 5 years

miken58b

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 11:15:51 am »
Thanks for the reply.  I did mean Mavic 819!

I think I'm going to try the Marathon Dureme with inner tubes as path of least resistance.  Changing the rims seems a lot of work.  This is my first forage into this territory and I'm worried I might make a fundamental error so advice is very reassuring!

:)

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 01:18:56 pm »
I have used both the Duremes and the Supremes at various times, and still have Supremes (1.6) on my Sherpa.

Very pleased with them.  Both have been completely puncture free, in 8 + years, including some Supremes used by by son on his commuting bike.

Duremes are fine on trails, and bowl along pretty well on tarmac.  I find the Supremes excellent on roads, and better than you would expect from their smooth tread on trails, canal paths etc., gravel and mixed surfaces fine. 

Both will serve you well, I reckon, the choice coming down to main focus of riding I guess.

Lewis

j-ms

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 06:26:23 pm »
Duremes are more than adequate for gravel roads and less demanding off road conditions.   Good life too - I got 15,000Km on rear tyres and 25,000Km on front tyres.

martinf

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 08:50:29 pm »
Duremes are fine on trails, and bowl along pretty well on tarmac.  I find the Supremes excellent on roads, and better than you would expect from their smooth tread on trails, canal paths etc., gravel and mixed surfaces fine. 

Both will serve you well, I reckon, the choice coming down to main focus of riding I guess.

I second this assessment. I found Duremes better for mainly (mild) off-road and (in my case mostly the wide 2.0 version) Supremes better when mainly used on roads.

On my old utility bike I went from 44x584 Marathons, which were already a great improvement on the old generation of 44x584 tyres, to 42x584 Supremes, then 50x584 Supremes. The latter performed well when I used this bike on survey contracts, with lots of riding on paths and tracks, including some riding on sand trails. No Duremes in the 50x584 size, and a proper off-road tyre would have been overkill.

The 42x584 Supremes were slightly faster than the 50x584 Supremes on tarmac only, and a bit lighter. I'm not that bothered by a few hundred grams more or less when it concerns total bike weight, but I find weight is noticeable in a tyre.

miken58b

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:14:07 am »
I'm now up and going on new Duremies with inner tubes on Mavic 819 rims.  So far very impressed.  Much quieter on the road than the Continental Vapors I took off and such off-road work as I have done (including short sections on rough gravel) has been fine.  Thank you for giving me the confidence to go ahead with this.