Author Topic: Cycle navigation  (Read 1048 times)

KvBCycles

Re: Cycle navigation
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »
Like some of the guys here I also use a combination of technologies.

If I have a computer I use Ride With GPS (via a browser) to plan legs (about 500km max). I then export to GPX and drop it into my dropbox which syncs the file to my phone.

I then load the GPX file onto my Garmin 200 - a very simple GPS device which uses the GPX to create a breadcrumb trail to follow. The battery lasts about 2 days, a big plus. The only issue is you need a PC to get the GPX onto the device. At the moment Iīm looking for a basic GPS with bluetooth (and good battery) which I can then use to get GPX files onto the device and negate the need for a PC.

On my phone I use OSMand and load the GPX track into the app. I use this to check the elevation and distances between points. I donīt use my phone for navigation.
You can also plan routes in OSMand and export them to GPX, then add GPX to DropBox and you can then get it from a PC if you need (to copy it to a GPS unit).

Iīm a big fan of OSMand - the detail available is brilliant and I highly recommend it over Maps.Me. I went for the paid subscription and I think itīs worth it.

Of course, with any route planning - check your route before downloading the GPX to your devices! RideWithGPS uses Google Maps for their automatic routing *I think* and you may find yourself in some mad places if you donīt check carefully :)

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
@kvbcycles - I recommend the Garmin 520 and above if it wasn't for the fact that garmin.com has been down for a week (due to ransomware attack I believe). I have started using my old (4-years+) 520 for navigation recently and it is doing a good job for turn-by-turn navigation.

Like you, I am a big fan of ridewithgps for route planning, it is easy to use and platform-independent.  I must take a look at OSMand too.  In my bookmarks I now have (with marks out of 5):  I also have a Garmin XT for motorcycling - which I am in two minds about.

Google maps 5/5 - keeps getting better
Bing Maps 4/5 - free OS maps for UK
Google My Maps 3/5 - POIs plotted over GPX routes is useful (accommodation, campsites, cafes) - see https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1w_99dhNkgjuy_vRZKJQ7A7o-QoU&usp=sharing for my NSCR route, now overlayed with photos geotagged to the route
ViewRanger 4/5 - long distance walking essential
Strava - 4/5 - I avoided this for ages but lockdown has made it an addictive app
RidewithGPS - 5/5 - best route planner IMO
Rever - haven't explored this yet - m/cycle oriented
MyRoute - 4/5 - good route planner for m/cycles with TomTom or Garmin, nice community
Garmin Connect - 1/5 - down for a week now :-( - clunky
Garmin Explore - 1/5 - hopeless app - no wonder Garmin IT is so weak - don;t even get me started about Basecamp.  Garmin are like Nokia - will soon be hardware only
cycle.travel - x/5 - yet to use this, but came recommended
searchforsites.co.uk - 4/5 - excellent campsite finder for campervans and cyclists

So many options to choose from.  Maybe I'll just go back to paper maps and compass - it's easier and more engaging.

"GPS will take you where you want to go; a map will take you somewhere new"

lewis noble

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »
Brilliant final comment, trailplanner. . . . . GPS will take you . . . . .A map will take you . . . . .

I have stuck to / reverted to paper maps; occasional use of g-maps in phone.  The more frequent stops for paper maps, bulk in saddlebag etc. doesn't bother me, and suits my style of riding and touring. 

interesting website, thanks.

Lewis

RichardFM

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 11:36:24 PM »
I use cycle.travel to plan routes, then I download the gpx files and upload them to OSMaps and view the route on my phone with the OS Maps app.
I also have a Beeline device https://beeline.co/ so sometimes upload the gpx file to their app and follow the arrow.
As a last resort I have a Satmap active 10 with OS 1:50000 maps of the UK.