Author Topic: Thorn raven - still available?  (Read 2099 times)

Dave B

Thorn raven - still available?
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:11:45 pm »
Just tried to download the online brochure for the Thorn Raven,  but it appears to be no longer available!  Has the Raven been discontinued?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:26:28 pm by Dave B »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn raven - still available?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 01:08:24 am »
Just tried to download the online brochure for the Thorn Raven,  but it appears to be no longer available!  Has the Raven been discontinued?
See...
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13775.0

Best,

Dan.

Dave B

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:43:46 am »
Thanks for that.  Was planning my next bike: a Raven or Nomad III ?  I  alreay have a (MKII ) As Thorn no longer have a 565L Raven frame in stock I assume it's will have to be a Nomad II I? Any idea what the weight difference  (approx ) is between a Raven frame and Nomad iii  frameof equal sizes ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:08:48 pm by Dave B »

PH

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 05:54:27 pm »
Any idea what the weight difference  (approx ) is between a Raven frame and Nomad iii  frameof equal sizes ?
I suspect it's far too small for anyone to notice, it's the same tubes in a slightly different configuration, it's possible the newer EBB design is s few grams lighter and the disc brake fitting a few grams heavier, but neither by a significant amount. 

Dave B

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 06:18:50 pm »
Thanks,  I thought the Nomad would a lot heavier.  Is that the also the case with the Mark II?

PH

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:53:07 am »
Thanks,  I thought the Nomad would a lot heavier.  Is that the also the case with the Mark II?
It's pretty much true of the majority of steel frames, certainly of all touring frames.  Of course the frame is only a small part of a bikes weight, but everything else can be moved between frames.  As an example - looking at the Nomad 700c brochure, it states the Nomad with a 853 fork will be lighter than the Mercury with a touring fork.  That ought to give you some idea.
Of course, the important factor is what's been done with the weight rather than the weight itself.  It doesn't take much material to quite considerably change the feel of a bike, far more than the scales would indicate.
Someone (Sorry forget who) has recently posted photos of their new Nomad, I think they've also owned a previous model.  Could try asking them for a comparison, or maybe start a new thread to catch their attention.
My own experience with my Rohloff is from it being in three frames.  First an original Raven Tour, then a custom Ti bike not dissimilar geometry wise  to the Mercury (though pre dating), and now in a Mercury (The Ti frame broke) Going from the Raven to the Ti saved 320g off the frameset and added 240g for the larger wheels, the Mercury's weight is almost identical to the Ti, they've all ridden differently, I can't say which is better, depends on the use, but the Mercury is my favorite as long as I don't need too carry much. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:02:18 am by PH »

Dave B

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:07:37 am »
Thanks for detailed feedback,  much food for thought.  Yes,  I will look for the comparison between the two nomads.