Author Topic: Thorn 'Gravel Bike' Help  (Read 1666 times)

yorkshirethorn

Thorn 'Gravel Bike' Help
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:25:13 am »
Good Morning all,

Having been a devoted Thorn enthusiast and owner for many years I am now in the market for a new machine.
I have been quite taken by 'gravel' style riding and have lots of trails of this nature nearby.
I really want a bike that I can go for a blast on (although I have a cyclocross bike for very sporty riding) but often I like to do a nice ( comfortable) 50 or so mile ride, mostly off road, and to carry a bit of kit  (lunch, picnic rug and a book!) and  and I have to say I like the idea of drops on this one. I will probably have a rack and mudguards (possibly just for winter) although I will not be using it as a 'heavy tourer' (I have an EXP with straights for that. Quite tempted to go for a Rohloff for the lack of (winter) maintenance but obviously adds weight and cost and cuts down frame choice. I want discs ideally (with the steel disc fork).

Thinking of;

Club tour Mk5 drops (650 wheels?) with (possibly) GRX group
Mercury set up with discs, drops and (Obviously) Rohlloff hub (650 or 700)
New Nomad (650?) with either Rohloff or traditional gears (twin)

I cannot seem to decide, love the idea of lack of maintenance with the hub but my Rohloff bikes never feel as 'sporty' somehow

What do you guys think? This is a very 'single purpose' machine so I want to try and get it right.

Thanks in advance
 Matt 

PH

Re: Thorn 'Gravel Bike' Help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 01:15:07 pm »
Didn't you ask the same question last year? 
What's changed, oh yes, the Nomad.  From Thorns range, that's what I'd probably go for, with 650B wheels.
Maybe I shouldn't say this here, but Thorn don't make a dedicated gravel style bike, if that's what I was looking for I'd probably look elsewhere. If what you want is a 50 mile blast, then a bike designed to go round the World is probably the wrong thing. 

gepabu

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 02:26:06 pm »
Take a look at Cotic Escapande

yorkshirethorn

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 02:44:57 pm »
Yes, PH, I did ask a similar question last year and was just about to take the plunge with a 'gravel' Club tour when the  Nomad was released and the Mercury gained improved tyre clearance and a disc fork was developed!
I thought possibly the Nomad to, I accept it is too much bike but I guess I wouldn't have to replace it!
Perhaps to give context, there are many fantastic gravel bikes out there both steel and other, but I am drawn to the ruggedness and longevity of the Thorn offerings and (if I went for it) the advantages of the Rholoff hub.

I accept I will loose some 'performance' to a dedicated gravel bike but as the prod owner of several Thorn bikes I am trying to find a halfway house

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:48:18 pm by yorkshirethorn »

PH

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 03:26:36 pm »
the Mercury gained improved tyre clearance and a disc fork was developed!
I didn't know the Mercury had gained tyre clearance (There's always been a disc fork option, though maybe not the same one) That might sway my opinion if you have deep pockets, though it's a lot of bike for your usage.  Again for off road I'd go for 650B, and it would of course tie you into the Rohloff.   I know what you mean about derailleurs feeling more sporty, though the reality is for me there's no actual average speed difference, though there might be variations in different scenarios.  Last time we had this conversation, I suggested the possibility of the Audax in gravel clothing, well the Mercury is IMO the Rohloff equivalent of that.
I really like my Mercury, though it's used as my lightweight tourer and Audax bike with very little off road.  I only have a couple of niggles (One of which is addressed in the current model) otherwise it's as close to perfect as any bike I've owned. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:31:11 pm by PH »