Author Topic: A gear ratio question for those knowledgeable people!  (Read 8082 times)

leftpoole

Re: A gear ratio question for those knowledgeable people!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 10:21:33 am »
Oh well buddy.. I sort of know what you mean.  I haven't got one myself, but fortuently Im much yonger than you and in really good health.  I will never convert you but Id say the difference between peddling half capacity vs being on a motorbike in terms of your health is different worlds.

I hate to see you give up cycling.. thats not to say you shouldnt get a motorbike too.

BTW do you remember that rusty old knackerd, beat up old audax you sold me.. just bought the last set of Reynolds steel forks that will probably ever be offered in BRG... I dont even want them, but now they are rare I must have them!!!

You take care mate

Ben

Ben,
You will need to refresh me regarding old knackered rusty Audax bike I sold you!
John

ZeroBike

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 09:50:09 pm »
Well truth be known it was a lovely rust free BRG audax mk3 that you sold me (before you split with your partner???)  You had a lot of white floors!! but the bike.....still got it!!! Pretty much still in the condition you gave it to me in...   I need to start about thinking about a new groupestet next year .. but thats next year.   Its my favourite road bike. im not setting any records but im fast enough and comphy!

Was many years ago now !!!!

Ben

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 10:17:34 am »
Well truth be known it was a lovely rust free BRG audax mk3 that you sold me (before you split with your partner???)  You had a lot of white floors!! but the bike.....still got it!!! Pretty much still in the condition you gave it to me in...   I need to start about thinking about a new groupestet next year .. but thats next year.   Its my favourite road bike. im not setting any records but im fast enough and comphy!

Was many years ago now !!!!

Ben
Hello,
When I lived in Dorset! Ah.... Yes my wife left me after 29 years. I have now partially recovered and have moved away to start my life again. She left just over 5 years ago.
I hope that you are enjoying that bike.
John (I still have in my computer a photograph of that bike and had wondered where it went!)

ZeroBike

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 03:20:03 pm »
Yes its a great bike. 

Still loving riding it!

All the best

Ben

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 11:54:10 am »
Yes its a great bike. 

Still loving riding it!

All the best

Ben
Ben,
Pleased to hear it!
John

Captain Bubble

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 05:00:39 am »
Ben,
Thank you for the very long well worded response.
I’m grateful.
But please don’t ever mention e-bikes again! I’m not going to even try one. I’d rather give up cycling and buy a proper internal combustion motorcycle. I’m an ex motorcycle rider.
Although some feel e-bikes useful and, no doubt they are to some. But no never not for me.
Thank you so much again.
Best to you and everyone.
John

Agree. Even if I only had one breath left I would never ride an E-bike. They are an abomination. I have ridden a traditional bicycle all my life as they are most environmentally friendly mechanical means of transport. To ride an Ebike when I could ride a normal bicycle would seem a total betrayal to cycling and all cyclists that have gone before me. I don't see how they can even consider themselves as cyclists. As you allude they are really MOTOR cycles which is literally what they are.

Re your original gearing question. On my Rohloff I have the std 16T rear sprocket with 42T front chain ring. I normally ride flattish undulating terrain, but with some weight 5-10kg in the rear panniers sometimes more. I tend to find myself riding maybe either of 9,10 or 11 gear, but not sure as the markings have now worn off my twist grip. Wind, gradient, weight carried and how I am feeling may cause this to vary. Fortunately my health is still good and I like to think I am still a moderately strong rider. I do have a 17T rear sprocket and I think another 38 or 39T front sprocket but have never used them. I have toured in very hilly and mountainous terrain with the 16/42 set up with no problems. There has been no gradient I couldn't get up, yet. I've both 700c and 26" wheels.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:05:47 am by Captain Bubble »

PH

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2020, 07:09:38 am »
I don't see how they can even consider themselves as cyclists
I'm all right then, I've never considered myself  cyclist, just someone who rides a bike.

strictnaturist

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 08:02:24 pm »
Hi everyone, hope you are all well? Just waiting for the ice to clear here to get out on my Mercury 650B.
Can I ask? Could someone with more joined up brain cells than me calculate the gear inches for the 1st gear Rohloff running on my current 43 front x 19 rear, on 27.5” at 2.00”?
Thanks for your assistance here.
Eddie

PH

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 08:27:04 pm »
17.5"
Though I didn't have to know anything other than where to look  ;)
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Are there photos of your Merc?

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 09:04:16 pm »
Hi everyone, hope you are all well? Just waiting for the ice to clear here to get out on my Mercury 650B.
Can I ask? Could someone with more joined up brain cells than me calculate the gear inches for the 1st gear Rohloff running on my current 43 front x 19 rear, on 27.5” at 2.00”?
Thanks for your assistance here.
Eddie
That gets 17.5 to 92 GI. I suppose it's what is common here. Useless for me however.

strictnaturist

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 09:10:18 pm »
Thank you both.
I’ll get photos and a one year report out pretty soon.
All the best
Eddie