Author Topic: Saddle height  (Read 1249 times)

KDean

Saddle height
« on: June 03, 2022, 08:46:05 am »
I like a quite upright sitting position ,But I've noticed my saddle is quit a few inches above the height of my handle bars , From what I've seen most people have the bars level , Am I asking for problems on a long trip or get a bike fit perhaps ?  I'm 6ft 3 & have a 620L frame .

mickeg

Re: Saddle height
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 10:46:35 am »
Everybody defines "upright" differently.

I have my bars about the same height as my saddle on most of my bikes.  And over the past decade have raised them about 10 to 20mm higher.

But reach is another factor to consider because your arms are at an angle to the handlebars.  For example, my folding bike has a much shorter reach, my bars are maybe two inches (~~5cm) lower than my saddle on that bike for the same amount of leaning forward as on my other bikes.  So bar shape and stem length are a factor too.

I think you will know if it does not feel right and make adjustments as appropriate.

PH

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 11:51:46 am »
I posted this link on another thread recently. apologies for the repetition, it really is worth a thorough read
https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/bike-set-up-2017a.pdf

Bike fit is a complex issue and there is no single right answer to any of it, even the professional bike fitters differ on some aspects.  The best it's possible to do is rule out what won't work and then try and find your way in what's left.  Some people break all the rules and are still comfortable and efficient on their bikes, some can find comfort in a broad range while others have a very limited sweet spot.  Then there's all the mumbo jumbo...  There's also those who like to say we're all different, well that's true to an extent, but our differences are smaller than our similarities.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 02:28:25 pm »
I ride with my handlebars above the saddle and sit almost upright. You don't want to sit perfectly upright because then every road shock will be translated straight up your spine, and that's clearly undesirable. You can use North Road Bars to bring the grips closer to your hands and shorten your reach to avoid the possible problems George alludes to which arise when you change the control relationships in the cockpit.

It's a great feeling no longer to keep your physio in big BMWs!

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 02:31:59 pm »
There's also those who like to say we're all different, well that's true to an extent, but our differences are smaller than our similarities.

That doesn't sound like you at all, Paul. Are you feel all right?