Author Topic: Experience of fettling a Thorn Audax Mk4 with tubeless tyres  (Read 5541 times)

leftpoole

Re: Experience of fettling a Thorn Audax Mk4 with tubeless tyres
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 03:58:36 pm »
V interesting thread . . . . I somehow missed it first time round.

And my own experience with the Audax, mine is Mk3R, is similar, very stable, predictable and reassuring in it's handling.  Not only at higher speeds, but at lower plodding-slowly-up-steep-hills speeds ; mine is quite happy below 3 mph as well as at 40.

Thanks for posting.

Lewis

Excellent Lewis!
John

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 01:29:00 pm »
I have updated my blog with experiences after 3,000km.  Now I am not so sure about tubeless. Am I getting more punctures than usual?

https://trailplanner.co.uk/2020/04/25/fine-tuning-a-new-thorn-audax-mk4/

I'll give it more time, but I have added pros/cons for tubeless. Does anyone else use tubeless on an Audax?

martinf

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 08:27:40 pm »
Latex tubes are perhaps an option, as a sort of halfway house between butyl inner tubes and tubeless.

They are supposed to be better than butyl tubes for rolling resistance and comfort, which I believe after using them. 

This site has some data that confirms my empirical belief, at least as far as rolling resistance is concerned:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/tubeless-latex-butyl-tubes

Some manufacturers also claim better puncture resistance, but I don't believe that.

Downsides are that they need topping up much more frequently than butyl, they are generally more expensive than butyl, and after a few years they perish and need replacing, whereas butyl tubes can last for many years.

Advantage over tubeless is no need for sealant or special inflation boosters, and just as easy as butyl tubes to replace at the roadside. Most manufacturers don't recommend patching them, but I do this and it hasn't posed any problems.

I run latex tubes on my Thorn Raven heavy tourer with 2" x 26" Marathon Supremes, my Thorn Raven Sport Tour with 1.35 x 26" Kojaks, and my lightweight derailleur bike with 28x700C Schwalbe One tyres.

I haven't bothered on my utility bikes, as I reckon the performance gain isn't worth the hassle of the more frequent reinflation required.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:22:34 am by martinf »

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 10:14:52 pm »
That's interesting...something else to try later, maybe for my Sherpa.  Thanks for posting.