Author Topic: Has the Sherpa been discontinued?  (Read 3722 times)

ZeroBike

Has the Sherpa been discontinued?
« on: April 21, 2020, 12:30:40 pm »
Hi, just wondering if the Sherpa has been discontinued as I cant see it in the mega brochure anymore.

All the best

Ben

PH

Re: Has the Sherpa been discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 04:31:09 pm »
Would appear that the Sherpa and Raven have been phased out in favor of a more versatile Nomad, there was a bit of a discussion when the line up and brochure changed last year
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13656.0

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 07:02:32 pm »
Frames are still available, mostly in red, on the website, so it should be possible to get a Sherpa for a while yet??  Tho' step-thru may be unavailable??  Worth checking.  So if the frames are available, while still in stock, I guess Thorn would still build one up when they are fully working again?

I have a red Sherpa, flat bars, components tending towards lighter weights - a very nippy and secure bike, my preference over the Audax for urban riding - I've done several long tours on it too.  I'll be sorry to see them off the list.

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 11:08:21 pm »
I’ve just this minute looked at the Thorn website and there is a Sherpa below the Nomad everyone seems to think has taken over.
So a Sherpa is still offered and I believe will be for the foreseeable.
Best to all,
John

PH

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 12:20:21 am »
I’ve just this minute looked at the Thorn website and there is a Sherpa below the Nomad everyone seems to think has taken over.
Best to all,
John
But you didn't click the link...

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 09:27:50 am »
Best to all,
John

Ah! After clicking the link it does appear that the Sherpa as known is going to be no more!
It’s a shame because it is/was a nice bicycle. I’ve never been very happy with multi purpose things in life including bolted on parts etc.
I have a Sherpa frame hanging in my bike store. I think I may build it up because this has rekindled my liking for it!
Best to all,
John

PH

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 12:48:44 pm »
I’ve never been very happy with multi purpose things in life including bolted on parts etc.
I'm inclined to agree, I don't even like unused braze ons, one of the reasons I chose a 853 fork was because I knew I'd never use the front rack fittings on the other version. 
It does seem to be a growing trend at Thorn, there may be some advantage to the end user with the ability to reconfigure a bike at a later date, but I expect most of the advantage is to the manufacturer.  How many people are going to swap back and forth between chain and belt?  Or wheel sizes? Or brake type?  Those forks with a V brake fitting to accommodate two sizes of wheel are probably the ugliest bike fitting I've seen,  I wouldn't have one, it would have stopped my buying the bike.

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 06:12:31 pm »
I’ve never been very happy with multi purpose things in life including bolted on parts etc.
I'm inclined to agree, I don't even like unused braze ons, one of the reasons I chose a 853 fork was because I knew I'd never use the front rack fittings on the other version. 
It does seem to be a growing trend at Thorn, there may be some advantage to the end user with the ability to reconfigure a bike at a later date, but I expect most of the advantage is to the manufacturer.  How many people are going to swap back and forth between chain and belt?  Or wheel sizes? Or brake type?  Those forks with a V brake fitting to accommodate two sizes of wheel are probably the ugliest bike fitting I've seen,  I wouldn't have one, it would have stopped my buying the bike.

Hear here, I am in full agreement!
John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 10:51:00 pm »
Best to all,
John

Ah! After clicking the link it does appear that the Sherpa as known is going to be no more!
It’s a shame because it is/was a nice bicycle. I’ve never been very happy with multi purpose things in life including bolted on parts etc.
I have a Sherpa frame hanging in my bike store. I think I may build it up because this has rekindled my liking for it!
Best to all,
John

And the Raven?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

Matt2matt2002

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink