Author Topic: Is Thorn closed?  (Read 2397 times)

Pavel

Is Thorn closed?
« on: April 13, 2020, 01:17:52 am »
Reading Robin Thorn's reply in another thread, I get the sense that all employees have been laid off, and one person is left to carry on in a minuscule way.  Is that the case?  I don't understand why such an online presence would lay employees off. Please tell me that I've misunderstood something.  Have I?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Is Thorn closed?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 04:01:14 am »
As I understand it, the Thorn workshop is closed for now as Robin stated here: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13751.0

On 23 March, this was posted to the St John Street Cycles Instagram account:
Our shop is now closed except for pre paid collections. Website is running as normal and no internal delays with shipping. Couriers are experiencing a high demand so some orders may be slightly slower.

The SJS Cycles website ( sjscycles.co.uk ) posted an update on 7 April to their homepage as follows...
COVID 19 Update
We are operating a mail order only service until further notice!

Please note: There are delays in delivery caused by the increased workload and reduced staff levels in all organisations thoughout the bicycle component supply chain and parcel courier sector. 07/04/2020.

As of 13 hours ago, their SJS Cycles Instagram account was offering Bromptons with local shipping at a reduced rate and for a limited time, asking folks to check them out online or to contact for spec changes.

Since there have been no substantial updates to their social media accounts since, I would expect things are continuing as noted above.

Best,

Dan.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:03:43 am »
They are answering questions on the items on their website and answering emailed queries. They are also despatching purchases from the online shop.
Brian.

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 09:43:44 pm »
I'm relieved then that the employees still have their jobs.  What a crazy, terrible state the world has fallen into.

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 09:49:22 pm »
I'm relieved then that the employees still have their jobs.  What a crazy, terrible state the world has fallen into.

Not sure what you wrote, is what you meant?
The world is upside down because of a pandemic caused by a virus. Not by the people in it.
John

Pavel

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 11:32:50 pm »

Not sure what you wrote, is what you meant?
The world is upside down because of a pandemic caused by a virus. Not by the people in it.
John

I'm not sure how you could misunderstand what I meant.  I'm relieved that under the scenario where some small and medium sized businesses are temporarily laying off employees or even closing their doors for good, that such is not the case for Thorn Cycles.  The crazy upside down state is that same said thing, how people are having a tough time making ends meet, are worried for the future, which until a few weeks ago would only have been imaginable to this degree in a dystopian novel. That it is cause by an escaped virus is self evident.  Where is the inference that people somehow caused this upon themselves?  That would be crazy.  They are merely dealing with an unprecedented, hellish, set of problems which the virus brought down upon them.

Pavel

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 11:36:27 pm »
I re-read Robins post - and it was not my imagination, he said that all employees have been furloughed.  Is that the same as what we mean in the USA when we say "laid off"?

PH

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 02:55:52 am »
I re-read Robins post - and it was not my imagination, he said that all employees have been furloughed.  Is that the same as what we mean in the USA when we say "laid off"?
It's a government job retention scheme for staff who are not working, the government subsidies the employees wages by 80%, via their employer who may top that up (Though isn't obliged to and it's no ones business but their own)  So it's sort of laid of with pay.

Pavel

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 03:01:32 am »
Laid off with pay sounds reassuring to me.  I'm glad that is the case.  Let's hope for a speedy recovery to normal times.