Author Topic: Bridgestone XO1 inspired Sherpa  (Read 3046 times)

kwkirby01

Bridgestone XO1 inspired Sherpa
« on: March 28, 2020, 05:56:52 pm »
Hello, as a long time lurker and occasional poster on this forum I thought I add a picture of my current Thorn Sherpa.

It was inspired by the Bridgestone XO1, which was designed by Grant Petersen, formerly of Bridgestone Bicycles, and the founder of Rivendell Bicycles.

The spec is:
  • XT parallel push V-brakes (not convinced they make a huge difference, but work well all the same)
  • Gillies Berthoud mudguards (the odd shaped mudguard stay is because I had a dog trailer hitch, now removed, on the rear dropout and the axle wasn't long enough for it and the mudguard stay)
  • Silver Shifter barcons (friction shifting only)
  • Moustache bars
  • Brooks B17 Saddle
  • Old school Shimano square taper cranks
  • TA Specialities chainrings (22/33/45)
  • Thorn expedition rack
  • Shimano DH 3N72A Dynohub (no light as I've not got around to replacing the one that broke
  • Wellgo sealed bearing platform pedals
  • Schwalbe Supreme 559-40 tyres

It's great bike, and a lot more nimble than 15Kg would suggest, though I'd like to fit bigger tyres at some points for more comfort on rough tracks.

The bike started with drops, changed to flat bars with bar ends, then back to moustache bars which I had on an earlier bike. The bars are comfortable, but not perfect. At some point I'd like to try Denham Bars like these:

Picture was taken at the local wind farm which has miles of smooth and rough tracks - great for dogs (out of shot) and cycling.
Kevin K. Glasgow

PH

Re: Bridgestone XO1 inspired Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 09:39:15 pm »
Looks great, and clean ;)

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 08:05:18 pm »
Love the colour scheme, Kevin, and the landscape!

kwkirby01

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:09 pm »
Thanks John. The picture was taken from Corse Hill in the middle of Whitelee Wind Farm, overlooking Glasgow and East Kilbride, with the Campsie Hills in the distance.
Kevin K. Glasgow