Author Topic: A bit of noise!  (Read 3552 times)

Thomas777

A bit of noise!
« on: March 24, 2020, 02:27:15 pm »
I think I know but I want to ask!
My wife's touring bike has the Rohloff. While riding the past few days it is a bit noisey. AsI was riding behind I could see that the noise,chain noise, took place when her pedal was in the power stroke at about 1 o'clock.
My thinking is I need a bit more slack in the chain.
Thoughts?
Thanks!!

mickeg

Re: A bit of noise!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:54 pm »
Did you tighten or replace the chain immediately before the noise started?

If the noise progressively got worse, or perhaps suddenly got worse with a rain event, perhaps lubing the chain will solve it?  I usually lube my chains when my drive train is noisy, that is the warning sign I use to determine when to apply lube.

Photos, more detail on noise, etc., those things help with diagnosis if still present after you adjust chain tension.

Thomas777

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:54:10 pm »
It Isa new chain. I replaced it last Fall after our 3 months in Europe. I use hit wax for the chain and liquid wax when touring as my wife keeps bumping the chain ring! I have thought of a Herbie but...

Thomas777

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:15:23 pm »
I just took the chain off and gave it a good cleaning in mineral spirits. Now I am warming up the Crock-Pot with the parrifin.
I will give it a good soak and then have her ride.

Thomas777

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 03:12:10 pm »
After waxing I had the bike in the stand and it was still making noise. So I loosened the sliding dropouts and moved them forward about 3-4mm. Noise is gone!

Thomas777

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:39:05 pm »
Noise!!!
We went out for a ride and the noise is still there!! But I think I figured it out. I have never flipped the cog. I did it this afternoon and will see if that does it.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 11:35:16 pm »
I assumed this was on a Thorn until you mentioned that you slid the dropouts.  That tells me it is probably something else as I do not think any Thorns had sliding dropouts.

Thorns usually use a odd number of teeth on the hub sprocket.  Other brands usually use an even number.  (My Thorn Nomad Mk II has a 16 tooth cog, not the typical 17 for a Thorn bike.)

I cut a notch into one tooth on the sprocket and one notch on a tooth on the chainring, both of which have an even number of teeth.  This is why.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html

In other words, Sheldon thought that every other tooth would wear a bit more as your chain wore.  And if that is the case, if you put the chain on the sprocket out of phase, that could cause more noise.  And of course like you suspect, a new chain on a worn sprocket could also not run quite right.

I always make sure when I put the chain on that the tooth with a notch cut in it has a chain link with outer and not inner plates on that tooth.  That goes for both chainring and sprocket.

My sprocket has had about 2000 km since the photo was taken, I have not flipped mine yet but next time I change chains, it get flipped.  It does show some of that shark fin look to it.

From the photo it looks like every tooth has the same wear, but when I had the sprocket in my hand looking at it closely, I think that half the teeth had a slightly different amount of wear as half of the chain links had slightly more elongation. 

RonS

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 05:24:58 pm »
Using a new chain with badly worn sprockets will make a lot of noise, and quickly wear out your new chain. If you still have the old chain put it back on and see if the noise disappears.

Thomas777

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 03:17:54 pm »
I flipped the cog the other day but the weather has not been cooperating! Maybe today for a test ride.
I did order a new cog and snap rings.

PH

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 04:17:34 pm »
I did order a new cog and snap rings.
have you ordered the converter?
It looks like your present sprocket is threaded, so if you haven't already got one you need the converter to thread in before fitting a splined sprocket.  Or maybe that's what you've ordered?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/rohloff-splined-sprocket-carrier-slim-8540s/

Thomas777

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 10:22:50 pm »
Not sure what you mean by converter. This hub has a snap rings that once removed allows the cog to come right off. I see another setup that requires a4 prong tool and a chain whip.
Not sure which is the newer version.
We did go for a short ride and almost all the noise is gone! I think I let it go way too long. So when the new cog arrives I will swap it out.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 10:48:34 pm »
Not sure what you mean by converter. This hub has a snap rings that once removed allows the cog to come right off. I see another setup that requires a4 prong tool and a chain whip.
We did go for a short ride and almost all the noise is gone! I think I let it go way too long. So when the new cog arrives I will swap it out.

You have the newer version if you use a snap ring to remove the cog.  I have the older threaded sproket on mine, I bought my Rohloff hub in 2013.  I am not exactly sure when they changed from threaded to splined.

I call that part that is threaded onto the hub that holds your sprocket a carrier, I think the correct term is splined carrier.  I think that is what PH meant when he said converter.

PH

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 10:50:59 pm »
My error, read it on my phone and I thought mickeg's photos were your sprocket.

Thomas777

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:56 am »
Thanks!!