Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

A bit of noise!

(1/3) > >>

Thomas777:
I think I know but I want to ask!
My wife's touring bike has the Rohloff. While riding the past few days it is a bit noisey. AsI was riding behind I could see that the noise,chain noise, took place when her pedal was in the power stroke at about 1 o'clock.
My thinking is I need a bit more slack in the chain.
Thoughts?
Thanks!!

mickeg:
Did you tighten or replace the chain immediately before the noise started?

If the noise progressively got worse, or perhaps suddenly got worse with a rain event, perhaps lubing the chain will solve it?  I usually lube my chains when my drive train is noisy, that is the warning sign I use to determine when to apply lube.

Photos, more detail on noise, etc., those things help with diagnosis if still present after you adjust chain tension.

Thomas777:
It Isa new chain. I replaced it last Fall after our 3 months in Europe. I use hit wax for the chain and liquid wax when touring as my wife keeps bumping the chain ring! I have thought of a Herbie but...

Thomas777:
I just took the chain off and gave it a good cleaning in mineral spirits. Now I am warming up the Crock-Pot with the parrifin.
I will give it a good soak and then have her ride.

Thomas777:
After waxing I had the bike in the stand and it was still making noise. So I loosened the sliding dropouts and moved them forward about 3-4mm. Noise is gone!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version