Author Topic: Stir crazy!  (Read 15101 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
Stir crazy!
« on: March 18, 2020, 07:11:41 am »
We're beginning the 4th day of a 15+ day total lockdown here in Spain due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Neither my wife nor I have any of the symptoms, fortunately. Everyone must stay in their houses unless going to work (home-working encouraged), for shopping, going to the bank, pharmacy or medical centre. When out on the street one must observe a 1 metre exclusion zone around one another. Cycling, jogging or walking for pleasure prohibited. Dog walking is permitted and I have three pooches so I can get out a few times a day. Police patrol the streets checking those moving about for their reason for being there. Proof is required and instant fines common. Spanish citizens and residents are supportive of the measures and comply well but the Brit holidaymakers particularly caught on the Costas are flouting the regulationss regularly.

I'm missing my daily cycling already. I've spent time doing non-urgent jobs on the Sterling and the Brompton. However, working on the bikes makes me want to ride more! I have an old exercise bike out the back covered in junk and dust so my job for today is to rescue it, clean it up and see if I can get it working.

We live in a small village which is normally very quiet, now it's silent for most of the time. I know of nobody here who has symptoms yet but in UK my grandson has a barking cough and high temperature. My daughter has the sweats but no cough and granddaughter seems clear at the moment. Fortunately my daughter has an excellent employer and she can do most of her work from home anyway. Their instruction for the past week has been to take their laptop home with them every night in case of this eventuality.

The closest to this experience I had in my life were the weeks after the coup attempt in Nairobi, Kenya in 1982 with a curfew and army on the streets but this is tougher than that in many ways.
Brian.

lewis noble

Re: Stir crazy!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 12:14:11 pm »
Very best wishes, Brian. My son and family also in 14 day quarantine, similar reasons, and my daughter, a junior doc in a London hospital, talks about how difficult things are there.  Things are likely to get pretty bad.

I was out on the bike yesterday, probably tomorrow as well, general cycling not advised against . . .as far as I know!

Good luck.  Whereabouts in Spain are you??

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:11:21 pm »

I was out on the bike yesterday, probably tomorrow as well, general cycling not advised against . . .as far as I know!

Lewis
[/quote]

Lewis,
Ive have read and reread as much as I possibly can, the advised rules etc.
Cycling is exercise and exercise is recommended as long as you keep away from others!
All the best,
John

energyman

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 01:39:08 pm »
At last a golden opportunity to tidy up not only the garage but the loft and most importantly the bike shed.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 02:15:21 pm »
Very best wishes, Brian. My son and family also in 14 day quarantine, similar reasons, and my daughter, a junior doc in a London hospital, talks about how difficult things are there.  Things are likely to get pretty bad.

Good luck.  Whereabouts in Spain are you??

Lewis

Thanks Lewis. We live in a small village about half an hour from Seville. They take it all very seriously here. Walking the dogs yesterday afternoon a police car stopped beside me to check where I live in case I was out on a hike! Walking, jogging and cycling for pleasure/fitness specifically excluded.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:17:29 pm by rafiki »
Brian.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 02:18:52 pm »
At last a golden opportunity to tidy up not only the garage but the loft and most importantly the bike shed.

Getting a few jobs sorted out this afternoon too.
Brian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 02:34:56 pm »

PH

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 02:51:14 pm »
Stay safe Brian, try and avoid too much DIY it's likely to be higher risk than cycling.
Here in the UK we're still allowed to go solo cycling, though all the national bodies have advised against group rides.  It could all change of course.

PH

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 02:57:21 pm »
Lewis
This is the latest advice from Cycling UK, it follows government guidelines and is worth a read.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/coronavirus-qa-it-safe-cycle?fbclid=IwAR3WYI7WGXfnsGwFEz45Pz_tgsLjVlk8LgWrXRpMEm0KXEwlOkZDvp8F0C0

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 03:25:50 pm »
Where I am in USA, many stores and businesses closed.  My dentist office closed yesterday, so my appointment for next week is now farther into the future.  But I do not know if the authorities have the legal authority to prohibit recreational cycling.  My gym closed yesterday for an undetermined period of time.  For health reasons I need some cardio exercise every few days and I would much rather do that outside than on an indoor trainer.  Fresh snow outside this morning, so probably no cycling today. 

... I have an old exercise bike out the back covered in junk and dust so my job for today is to rescue it, clean it up and see if I can get it working.

Several years ago I bought an early 90s mountain bike from a neighbor, it had been stored outside in the weather unused for over a decade, perhaps several decades.  He only wanted $5 USD for it.

It took two days to get the bottom bracket out of the frame.  I applied internal frame treatment to limit or prevent future rust inside the frame, re-greased all bearings, it needed a lot of new stuff after being stored outside for so long, but became a very nice errand bike for short trips for groceries, etc.

The photo is after I fixed it up.  I still store it outside, see second photo that was taken during winter a few years ago.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 04:09:14 pm »
A nice errand bike. I have those Conti Town and Country 2.1" tyres on my Sterling. A comfortable tyre.

I need to sort out this exercise bike otherwise my old joints will seize up!
Brian.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 09:44:05 pm »
Banning cycling for pleasure is a bit of a bugger.

Mike

PH

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 09:56:38 pm »
Banning cycling for pleasure is a bit of a bugger.

Mike
Could always pretend you're not enjoying it.
Even in Spain the takeaway delivery riders are still working.  I do a bit of that, if it comes to it maybe I could sub contract it out to housebound cyclists.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 03:29:43 am »
We can still ride a bike in Utah... and there is a lot of space in which to do it - a very easy place to practice social distancing!

Sorry for the tilt - I put the camera on a rock that was almost level!

yeah I shaved my beard. Will that reduce the risk of contagion? Maybe... it's a cheap step!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 03:48:17 am »
yeah I shaved my beard. Will that reduce the risk of contagion? Maybe... it's a cheap step!
More aerodynamic.  ;)

Lovely photo and a stunning background, Jim.

Did you feel the earthquake?

All the best,

Dan.