Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

tubeless tyres with light weight tube with schrader valves

(1/3) > >>

strictnaturist:
Hi all
Just purchased my new red Mercury 650 B with 50mm tubeless tyres. All looking great.
In conversation with Thorn regarding the build, lightweight tubes were suggested as an intro to my first tubeless tyres.

Visited  my local bike today to purchase a couple of spare tubes for the road and he was surprised to see the tubes had schrader valves? My first bike will schrader valves for years. He couldn't understand why, and how the lube gets in the tube as the schrader valve doesn't have a removable core.
All new technology to me. Does the valve come out?
I assume the valve hole in the rim is too big now for presta?
Any thoughts?
Looking forward to some dry, wind free days to get out for a real test on the bike.
many thanks
Eddie

JimK:
Schraeder valves have removable cores too. I was just in a bike shop talking about that. My wife just got a new electric bike with schraeder valves and the mechanic added sealant to the tubes. Goathead thorns are rampant here in Utah!

strictnaturist:
thanks for your swift reply Jim
I should purchase the same tubes as Thorn fitted and have a valve inspection when they arrive.
all the best from Scotland
Eddie

mickeg:
Agree with JimK, Shrader cores removable, but only some Presta cores are.

When I worked in the bike shop decades ago, some brands of tubes can with a valve cap that had a built in core removal tool, but have not seen one of those since the last millennium.

John Saxby:
Eddie,  this Park valve core tool is your friend:

https://www.mec.ca/en/search?org_text=Park%20valve%20tool&text=Park%20valve%20tool

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version