Author Topic: Audax (725) best mudgaurds/seatpost size  (Read 2331 times)

Mr-mac

Audax (725) best mudgaurds/seatpost size
« on: February 12, 2020, 08:56:14 pm »
Hi,

Recently aquired a Thron Audax in dark metallic green (Reynolds 725 version) was wondering what seatpost size is (guess 27.2).

Also want to nice full mudgaurds bike didn’t come with any (pref in black) that will take a 28 maybe a 32 tyre on that frame if possible.  Anyone tried and aftermarket ones out and know of any that would work nicely.

Many thanks

John

leftpoole

Re: Audax (725) best mudgaurds/seatpost size
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:19:11 pm »
Great purchase!
SKS P35 mudguards will fit and look great. Will take 28 mm and maybe more.
Best regards,
John

Mr-mac

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 11:12:55 pm »
Brill, yeah notice the standard 35 wide is up to 28mm but very low clearance... next size up is 45mm which would be ideal for 32-35wide tyres but not sure if they’ll be too tight on frame or not.

PH

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:01:18 am »
Also want to nice full mudgaurds bike didn’t come with any (pref in black) that will take a 28 maybe a 32 tyre on that frame if possible. 
It's unlikely you'll get a genuine 32mm tyre and guard with adequate clearance under deep drop brakes whatever the frame.  Though there are some variables- your definition of adequate clearance, tread, guard profile, rims and exact positioning of brake fitting on frame.  To stand any chance the brake blocks need to be at the bottom of the slots, there's nothing you can do about it if they're not.  SKS 35mm guards have come in two profiles, rounded and flat top, the rounded get you an extra mm or two and are less likely to be fouled when you brake. I think the current range, branded Bluemels, are all rounded, but not all retailers have caught up.  The next size up from 35mm is 42mm, which have clearance for 32mm tyres, though I've only used them on a bike with cantis.

Mr-mac

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 09:33:45 am »
Gonna try out 28 and 32 tyres for a while and see what suits best for my planned use before I commit to mudgaurds I reckon.  It may help me choose best route as seems there may not be a good option for 28&32 at same time.