Author Topic: Head badge  (Read 3691 times)

Mickw.Hilton

Head badge
« on: February 09, 2020, 08:36:15 pm »
New to forum.
Can anyone advise of approx year and model ie: Nomad 1/2/3

brummie

Re: Head badge
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:51:22 pm »
I'd guess 2004 or thereabouts - probably last of the derailleur geared Nomad frames made in the UK.

Mickw.Hilton

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:25:14 pm »
Many thanks, I guess a mk1 then ?
Will be looking to sell soon.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:33:46 am »
If I understand the system right, the Mk I was the first one that used a Rohloff hub, there was no Mk number on the derailleur ones.  If I have this incorrect, I am sure someone will correct me on that.

I have a Nomad Mk II and a Sherpa, both of which had frames welded in Asia, frame not made in UK.

Decals or graphics have changed over time, that might also be something useful to post a photo of here.  I have no idea if serial number would assist in estimating age or not.

Mickw.Hilton

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:22:47 am »
Thanks I'll have to post some more photos and check frame no .
Mick

brummie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 05:41:09 pm »
Original Nomads also had quill stems.

Mickw.Hilton

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:58 pm »
Ah, mine has a Ahead stem so not that early then. ?

Bill C

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 04:55:06 pm »
If I understand the system right, the Mk I was the first one that used a Rohloff hub, there was no Mk number on the derailleur ones.  If I have this incorrect, I am sure someone will correct me on that.

there is a page on the way back machine from feb 14 2004 that has a secondhand mark 1 nomad for sale not rolhoff also not the same headbadge as op posted

there is also pics of pre 2000 nomads they had an inch steerer on another wayback page (got one here waiting for the rebuild)
 i'll look out for pics of op's type nomad headbadge

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:08:37 pm by Bill C »

Bill C

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 05:19:39 pm »
Ah, mine has a Ahead stem so not that early then. ?

could be earlier than 2004
 pic of 2001 ahead frameset

found new pic of 2000 nomad ahead frameset so added it (probably same photo used in 2001)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:16:38 pm by Bill C »

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 09:24:27 pm »
Thank you for correcting me, I was unaware that the Mk I started with a derailleur version.

Bill C

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 10:43:38 pm »
Mickeg

l only found out a little while ago , and I'm guessing mark 1 marked the change from an inch to 1-1/8 inch

in the thread you started about the used nomad derailleur frame for sale, that i bought
you said

I would first try to find out the specifications for the fork before spending money on it.

I have no idea if Thorn would have any details on any records on that frame from the serial number, but if they do they might be able to suggest the axle to crown race length and fork rake or offset that the frame was designed for.  You might consider contacting them.

so i searched using the wayback machine (i can get back to 1998, anyone know what web address they used pre 98?
I've tried bikebargains(.)co(.)uk as it's linked on some of the old pages, no use though)

i found that the forks i need are for a pre 2000 Nomad so inch steerer with a 60 degree rake on this size frame
the search is on for something suitable or at least useable
not much out about the Ventura though

i did learn a quite a bit but it's all 20years  out of date  ;)

Mickw.Hilton

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 08:29:28 am »
Mine has A headset but different head babe as pic also has drops and derailer so I'm confused as to possible year.
Oh and canti brakes and all the braze on's.?

Bill C

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 06:56:52 pm »
hi mick
I'd email Thorn and ask them, i dare say the gaffers will know, my money is on pre 1998
ahead were patented around 92 irc
thorn did custom builds maybe some forward thinking buyer specced aheadset before thorn adopted it into their range
Thorn are a bit slow at adopting new kit, maybe they thought anything with a star fangled nut was just to new n fangled ;)

Mickw.Hilton

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 07:20:34 pm »
 Cheers I'll do that.
Thanks Mick.

brummie

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:20:12 pm »
Just to chip in again on this one. I remember the Nomad badge in question was used at the same time the *Cherry Red coloured XTC's appeared with their 'T' emblem headbadge ( Any one still got one? ) * If memory serves me correct the Cherry Red was the standard colourway before the Cobalt Blue appeared in 2005/6? The original ( fillet brazed ) XTC was a Ferrari Red around 2001.