Author Topic: Rohloff spoke lacing uncertainty  (Read 20549 times)

leftpoole

Re: Rohloff spoke lacing uncertainty
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2020, 10:08:25 am »
Hello,
Regarding the 'issues' does this mean that the Rohloff hub/wheel that I have in my 10 year old mint Raven Sport Tour requires a rebuild?
New rim will be required at some point in the future but should this be brought forward?
I do not understand anything about wheel buiulding, I just build beautiful bikes!
Regards,
John

martinf

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2020, 11:53:03 am »
Regarding the 'issues' does this mean that the Rohloff hub/wheel that I have in my 10 year old mint Raven Sport Tour requires a rebuild?

Not in my opinion. The wheel was presumably built by Thorn/SJS, so it should be sound.

When the rim needs replacing it might be worth fitting flange support rings as part of the rebuild.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2020, 02:18:28 pm »
Not in my opinion. The wheel was presumably built by Thorn/SJS, so it should be sound.

When the rim needs replacing it might be worth fitting flange support rings as part of the rebuild.
Agreed, Martin.

Best,

Dan.

willywombat

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2020, 05:29:59 pm »
Having done a fair bit of moaning in this thread I thought it only fair to add that as someone who is particular about things being done right  (and fairly ) I  can recommend SJSC's wholeheartedly . They have a fantastic stock of hard to find parts  and build  very well made , practical cycles . Although I don't own a Thorn ( I  prefer 29ers with 2.5 ...3.00 tyres  for off road touring ) I have ridden several and appreciate the niche they fill  as well as the attention to detail often lacking in the competition . I also enjoy reading the technicolour articles and model brochures which contain a huge amount of information and detail for the discerning cyclist . 
I know SJSC'S don't need my approval but thanks for what you do ...you do it very well!

PH

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2020, 10:57:33 pm »

What Martin says, plus -
You've nothing to gain, the hub is already out of warranty, which only applied to the original owner anyway.  As explained in the Thorn documentation the rings don't stop the hub from breaking, what they do is allow you to continue using in the unlikely event it does.  My experience is you're going to be able to ride home with a spoke or two missing anyway, so unless home is going to be many thousands of miles away the rings serve no purpose. I haven't got them on either on mine and I'm not intending to do anything about that, I might include them in a future wheel build, but as both are disc brake that might be never.

If I had purchased a secondhand Rohloff wheel, I might be tempted to have the spoke tensions checked.  That's not to question the build, but there's some unknowns between then and now.  It's simple enough to do yourself if you have or can borrow a tension meter, if not take it to a wheel builder and get them to do it while you watch.