Author Topic: Rides 2020 +++ Add yours here +++  (Read 20488 times)

geocycle

Re: Rides 2020 +++ Add yours here +++
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 08:28:34 pm »
Enjoying taking the RST down the trails on my pre work corona rides. This is the Lune estuary.

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 09:48:50 pm »
I’m lucky to live in the Peak National Park and can get to rides like this from home. Stay save and stay local folks.

Bill

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 03:21:31 am »
I’m lucky to live in the Peak National Park and can get to rides like this from home. Stay save and stay local folks.

Beauty. Enjoy it!

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 10:23:09 am »
A beautiful photo, Geo. The interesting circular erosion in the middle ground behind the bicycle really lifts what was already a superb composition of a lowering sky and water to another level.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 04:41:46 am »

This is the rutted section of that rail trail - I was back out there today. The problem I have with riding it isn't really keeping my balance or anything. I guess I am learning why mountain bikers use dropper posts, not that I really understand how they work exactly. Maybe I just need snugger shorts. I walked my bike through this again!

leftpoole

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 11:12:36 am »
I will take advantage today, of the fine weather. I have been ill for a long time.
I have been isolated of course and have been doing my gardening.
A short ride later today but will not be a Thorn bicycle ride as I shall give my Brompton a treat.
John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 12:21:03 am »
Managed to beat the rain here today. A boring ride in town. Too many people on the river parkway - I should have skipped that on a weekend! But I got in some hills at least:

Average speed 9.7 - that seems to be the speed I ride, rather consistently!

I'm a numbers guy, that's my main way to relieve anxiety. Here is a scatter plot of my rides this year:

leftpoole

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 11:41:45 am »
Saturday, nice ride of 20 miles in countryside. A few cyclists about but really quiet and calm!
Sorry but I really cannot load photographs to this Forum, sorry.
John
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 11:43:28 am by leftpoole »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 01:49:14 pm »
42 quiet country road miles yesterday
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:52:58 pm by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 02:58:03 pm »
Not yet out onto country roads, but on Friday/Saturday, a couple of short rides along two of our three rivers, the big 'un, the Ottawa, running more or less W-to-E, as the border with Qué; and the smaller Rideau, running S to N to drain into the Ottawa just E of Parliament Hill.

Friday was a raw day, cloudy and cool, around 3°, with a stiff northeasterly suggesting rain.  Yesterday was a mix of sun and cloud, but much more cheerful, though still cool, even in late afternoon. The wind had shifted to the NW overnight--hence no precip :)--but even in late afternoon, it was a brisk 6°, and the northwesterly, gusting to 50-60 km/h, made for a bit of  a workout.

I took the Raven for one ride, and my derailleur Eclipse for the second, to check the adjustment on my new long-cage RD. (This is the 42nd such device I've fitted, seeking well-adjusted performance. I do this each spring--season of eternal hope--and then replace it each fall/winter. Now, it's part of the annual seasonal cycle chez nous.)

These were my first rides of 2020 in Canada.  Last month, I managed three in Queensland, but have yet to do my notes and photos on that--it now seems long ago and far away.  Have included one photo from those rides, however--see if you can guess which it is.

The rivers are full, but not yet spilling the banks.  This year's snowpack further N and W up the Ottawa Valley was substantial, but has melted slowly and early.  Forecasts signal that the "once-in-a-century" floods which have marked two of the past three springs will not recur.

Motor traffic is light on the roads--think of a busy day in the low-carbon age--but my experience from two short rides suggests that dangerous/inconsiderate/WTF-ish behaviour by motorists has not diminished. Have to ponder that paradox :(

More to come in the weeks ahead, I hope.  The options are limited by the fact that the Québec government has closed the bridges to all non-essential traffic, and the Gatineau Park is also closed.

Safe riding, all.

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 06:06:34 pm »
John, your quiz will keep me awake. Give us a Clue. -- Andre

PS the quality of your photographs never cease to astound me.

I'm quite envious really, all you guys riding out, while I'm now dutifully staying indoors because my government -- big surprise as mostly they cannot find their backsides with both hands and a map to assist them -- actually seems to have a better grip on the pandemic than many, many others. In particular, they have all along advised the over-70s to "cocoon", meaning to stay inside and not go out at all even for the exercise permitted the rest of the populace.

John Saxby

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 06:22:36 pm »
You're too kind, Andre.

Just keep at the puzzler -- you'll do it, I'm sure.)

Our regulations for social distancing do allow cycling and walking, but not en groupe.  I think that the public health authorities, as well as federal/provincial/municipal leaders, recognize that it's reasonable to make some allowance for exercise and trip to grocery stores (except for 14-day quarantines). Tragically, about half of the deaths in Canada have been among residents of nursing homes.

For me, le chanson du jour is Georges Moustaki's "Ma solitude", esp the lines:  "Je ne suis jamais seul/Avec ma solitude."

Cheers,  J.

Andre Jute

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2020, 11:54:48 pm »
I looked up Moustaki and played that through. Nice. It's given me the idea to play my complete collection of Jacques Brel, especially relevant now that we are so much in need of a universal single digit ascending skywards in defiance of the atrocity the Middle Kingdom has wished on us. Brel's oeuvre is pretty much a collective middle digit. I was once asked by a pedalpal for good music to cycle to, and answered "Brel!" though I dissuaded him from earbuds in his ears while riding because a cyclist needs all his senses to survive.

lewis noble

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 01:10:07 pm »
I've been doing some local rides out into the Peak District, which is adjacent to my home in Sheffield . . . . . roads very quiet, but quite a few cyclists about in the better weather.  Cycling still 'allowed', some interesting observations a few days ago on the home page of Cycling UK - but I sometimes wonder whether the number of cyclists about, albeit everybody taking care, distances etc. actually encourages some to resent their 'confinement' and go to public places etc. 

On the Audax now, I used the Sherpa more over the winter, as it feels better for me in heavy traffic and bad weather.  I was planning a return trip to Provence in late May, riding round the Sault / Ventoux / Touralenc circuit.  But that is not going to happen now, ferry crossings changed, campsite closed etc.  I was really looking forward to that - my breathing is sometimes more of a problem than it used to be, so I was keen to get this ride done while confident I still could.   But fortunately, a change of medication has cleared the old bellows up a bit, so I will plan to do the ride in the Autumn or, more likely, next year . . . .

Audax re-chained and rolling along sweetly . . . .

Stay safe everyone. 

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 10:49:25 am »
Sport Tour out and about avoiding other cyclists!