Author Topic: New Nomad mk3  (Read 2551 times)

brummie

New Nomad mk3
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:46:33 pm »
Just found this little write up from a new Nomad owner which some of you may find interesting:https://www.reddit.com/r/Touringbicycles/comments/dgxoia/new_thorn_nomad_mk3/

PH

Re: New Nomad mk3
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:11:32 am »
Just found this little write up from a new Nomad owner which some of you may find interesting:https://www.reddit.com/r/Touringbicycles/comments/dgxoia/new_thorn_nomad_mk3/
Thanks for sharing that, worth reading if just for this line
"A rather over detailed brochure, 132 pages, doesn’t hide its authors idiosyncrasies it celebrates them!"

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:28:26 pm »
Lots there we all recognise.  I like the MK3 nomad and the colour.

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 04:25:41 pm »
I wonder what the thinking, or advantage, behind the decision to change the slope of the top tube to so much less.  The new Nomads require longer legs now, which suits me just fine as my legs are long in proportion to my 182cm body, but my arms are from the wrong parts bin, where they had a surplus of arms meant for the average 170cm person.  So I'm always finding all bikes to have a too long top tube.

Were I to buy a Nomad again, I'd get myself the 52 Short, for those reasons, and live with the huge stack of spacers, which I like the look of actually.

But I wonder why the slope was so changed.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 06:31:30 pm »
But I wonder why the slope was so changed.
I haven't had time to check the mid-tube standover differenc ebetween the Mk2 and Mk3 Nomads. It is difficult to make a direct size comparison between the Mk2 and Mk3 Nomads because the size selection has changed, but I can speculate the slope may have reduced as a result of two other changes:
1) Because so few people fitted sus-forks, that option has been dropped. This implies there is no longer need for a sus-corrected rigid fork, so the bottom of the head tube might be lower, allowing a lower top tube and...
2) to make up for this, the Mk3 now has an extended head tube (it extends above the top tube more than on the Mk2).

Again, just quick speculation on my part but as a hobbyist framebuilder, I've faced similar issues when designing frames with and without sus-forks in mind.

Best,

Dan.