Author Topic: New Thorn Brochures up!  (Read 8898 times)

Pavel

New Thorn Brochures up!
« on: December 17, 2019, 08:16:14 pm »
It appears that Thorn main page is now changed, and the new brochures feature the most recent versions of each of the models.  Feels a bit like Christmas early.  :)

https://www.thorncycles.co.uk/bikes

John Saxby

Re: New Thorn Brochures up!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 08:59:04 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up, Pavel!

And best to you for Christmas and the new year,

John

David Simpson

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 12:15:44 am »
I think that mountain on the page background is Mt Robson, in the Canadian Rockies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Robson

- DaveS

Hoodatder

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 12:55:24 pm »
Has the Raven been discontinued?

Hoot

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 02:13:46 pm »

Hoot

The Raven is almost a postscript, it is down at the bottom if you scroll down.
Looks to be a rationalising of models which is sensible. The designer is reaching or maybe past 'retirement'.
I still feel the catalogue is too garish and could be improved further with the removal of the bright blue writing. Personal opinion no doubt!
John

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 02:39:37 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.  Interesting to compare the range with at of say 10 years ago.  A lot more emphasis on 700c wheels, disk brakes and perhaps even derailleurs. The Raven seems to be being squeezed by the nomad and the mercury.

Hoodatder

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 04:05:05 pm »

Hoot

The Raven is almost a postscript, it is down at the bottom if you scroll down.
Looks to be a rationalising of models which is sensible. The designer is reaching or maybe past 'retirement'.
I still feel the catalogue is too garish and could be improved further with the removal of the bright blue writing. Personal opinion no doubt!
John

Yes, I did see it and clicked the link - no brochure. Same with the Sherpa. Maybe  geocycle is right - getting squeezed out by the Nomad and Mercury.

Hoot

brummie

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 08:53:29 pm »
Looking good. Virtually all touring needs covered.

Pavel

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 12:40:10 am »
I don't think that consolidation the line a bit, would be a bad thing.  The Sherpa and the Nomad were similar enough to call identical for purpose, except for the derailleur vs "Superior mode of motivation" :D and now that the Nomad can be set up both ways, it would make sense to retire the Sherpa.  The Raven, after the RST was removed, I think is in a sort of "no-man's land" as well, and I'd not be surprised if once inventory has dwindled, that the rest will be sold at discount as the passing of the model is announced. 

Of interesting note; has anyone else noticed the bright bold announcement in the Bible that the whole batch of disk ready boost front forks was thought to be sub-standard and scrapped?  A new batch is hoped for in spring 2020.  That sure will impact sales a bit, I'd imagine.

martinf

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 07:36:02 am »
Looks like Thorn are following fashion - much more emphasis on disc brakes, 700C "gravel" and 650B tyres, much less on 26" 559 tyres.

If the Raven is phased out, the only Thorn option remaining for a 26" Rohloff touring bike will be the Nomad. Up till now Thorn have considered the Nomad to be overkill for many tourers.

geocycle

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 09:30:17 am »
The Raven is still the most affordable way into rohloff.  Even as a committed rohloff fan I'd hesitate on spending £3k on a mercury or nomad (but of course personal circumstances differ and it can be justified over time). That said my next Thorn will probably be a mercury as a replacement for my lovely RST.

lewis noble

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 02:05:27 pm »
RETIRE THE SHERPA??  I hope not . . . . it remains my favourite bike, good for a whole range of tasks, and I'm riding it more often at the moment as I find it better than the drop-bar Audax in bad weather, poor urban roads and heavy traffic.  I am happy with derrailieurs and rim brakes, suits my distances and speed, and I think there is a place in any range for a 'basic' bike.  And who knows, I might need the step thru version in a few years!! I would not need and could not justify a step-thru Nomad . . . .

So I'll be looking after my Sherpa even more carefully . . . . .

Lewis

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 02:10:59 pm »
If the Raven is phased out, the only Thorn option remaining for a 26" Rohloff touring bike will be the Nomad. Up till now Thorn have considered the Nomad to be overkill for many tourers.

That was certainly my calculation, Martin.  The Nomad was much more bike than I needed, esp with the Nomad X being phased out when I was buying.  I opted for the Raven's versatility, and have had no regrets about that.

For unladen day rides in hilly country, I use my ti-framed light touring derailleur bike. But, longstanding headaches with the rear derailleurs (many variants have been tried over 15-plus years) regularly remind me, "Don't try loaded touring with this, mate."

macspud

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 08:52:42 pm »
I don't think that consolidation the line a bit, would be a bad thing.  The Sherpa and the Nomad were similar enough to call identical for purpose, except for the derailleur vs "Superior mode of motivation" :D and now that the Nomad can be set up both ways, it would make sense to retire the Sherpa.  The Raven, after the RST was removed, I think is in a sort of "no-man's land" as well, and I'd not be surprised if once inventory has dwindled, that the rest will be sold at discount as the passing of the model is announced. 

Of interesting note; has anyone else noticed the bright bold announcement in the Bible that the whole batch of disk ready boost front forks was thought to be sub-standard and scrapped?  A new batch is hoped for in spring 2020.  That sure will impact sales a bit, I'd imagine.

Actually, the Nomad is more robust than the Sherpa. It is the Raven that is identical to the Sherpa, other than drivetrain, of course.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:54:53 pm by macspud »

Joe B

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 10:34:14 pm »
I was wondering the same thing about the Raven and the Sherpa.  Wonderful bikes but I guess Thorn are rationalising the range.

I suppose that if a Nomad is overkill for your needs but you want a fat tyre they now have the option of a 650B Club Tour or Mercury depending your preference of transmission.

For everything apart from exhibition touring I suppose 650B tyres have supplanted the 26",  there's a terrific choice of 650B tyres on the market now too.

As an owner of a 26" Thorn Rohloff tandem and a 26" Rohloff Surly my colours are, for the time being very much nailed to the 26" mast.