Author Topic: New Thorn Brochures up!  (Read 8827 times)

Pavel

Re: New Thorn Brochures up!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 05:59:37 pm »
I for one am glad always when a manufacturer offers decals without clear coat over them, as I, given any opportunity would remove most of them, and as much modifying as we all tend to do, would it not be easy and inexpensive to have a body repair shop spray clear coat, if one is fixated on keeping the bike pretty?

The more worn and ugly my bikes cosmetics are, the better I like it, considering the weight of strong locks.  An ugly bike does not attract the attention of thieves nearly as much, and while I'm vain as much as any other, having a beloved Thorn stolen is of greater concern. 

Fortunately here in the Deep South of the the eastern USA, most folks have no idea what a Rohloff is, and consider a bicycle to be the saddest form of travel, only suitable for those who have lost their drivers license due to drinking and driving. Here, bikes are stolen as frequently as old smelly socks.

leftpoole

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 03:22:53 pm »
I for one am glad always when a manufacturer offers decals without clear coat over them, as I, given any opportunity would remove most of them, and as much modifying as we all tend to do, would it not be easy and inexpensive to have a body repair shop spray clear coat, if one is fixated on keeping the bike pretty?

Pavel.
Some people are proud to show the make of cycle they are using.
Some people are proud to have a nice clean cycle.
If you want your cycle to look rubbish, best buy a rubbish cycle!
Greetings from England.
John

PH

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 05:51:21 pm »
would it not be easy and inexpensive to have a body repair shop spray clear coat, if one is fixated on keeping the bike pretty?
As I said pros and cons...
But no, not possible to get as good a finish over the top of self adhesive vinyl stickers as over to top of those designed for the job.  The better clear coats are baked on, and these stickers wouldn't survive. plus they're always going to be more pronounced so the edges on the lacquer will be vulnerable there.  You can of course get air drying lacquer, but it isn't anything like as robust.