Author Topic: Is this out of my Speedhub ?  (Read 2372 times)

KimBowers

Is this out of my Speedhub ?
« on: December 16, 2019, 05:36:17 pm »
Hi,

I've been giving my bike its usual winter once over. Including changing the oil in my Eternal Box Speedhub.
All seems to have gone well until I discovered this part on the floor.

Not sure the attachment is showing.
It's a thin circular part. 40mm outside diameter and 35.5mm inside. About 1.5mm thick.

It says " For 8 Speed Only" I don't recognise it as a Rohloff part. Should I be worried ?

Thanks Kim.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Is this out of my Speedhub ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 06:47:02 pm »
Well, that's a surprise, Kim!

If you didn't remove the wheel from your bike as you serviced the Rohloff hub, I don't see how this washer could have dropped off the hub.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 06:47:34 pm »
I would not worry.  It might be a cassette spacer or something like that. 

Now if your Rohloff had 8 speeds, maybe you should worry.  <Insert chuckle here.>

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 07:13:58 pm »
I've been giving my bike its usual winter once over. Including changing the oil in my Eternal Box Speedhub.
All seems to have gone well until I discovered this part on the floor.

Not sure the attachment is showing.
It's a thin circular part. 40mm outside diameter and 35.5mm inside. About 1.5mm thick.

It says " For 8 Speed Only" I don't recognise it as a Rohloff part. Should I be worried ?

Is your bike a post-new adaptation to a Rohloff box? Did you buy it second-hand with the Rohloff on it?

That piece looks suspiciously like a spacer for a Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub gearbox.

Don't worry about it.  But do save it. if the wheel feels loose, you may want to reinsert the spacer.

KimBowers

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 08:59:24 pm »
Thanks all for the reassurances,

The wheel was off the bike - with the mystery piece underneath the wheel, hence my worry.

All is back together now, and all 14 gears are working.
I’ve owned the bike from new since 2008 and done many oil changes before.

I just can’t figure out where this part came from as my only other bikes have a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer or an 11 speed Shimano Alfine.

PS. Just noticed that I described the Speedhub as “Eternal”  Here’s hoping  :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 04:43:16 am »
I just can’t figure out where this part came from as my only other bikes have a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer or an 11 speed Shimano Alfine.

There's your mystery solved: it belonged to one of those two bikes, not the Rohloff-equipped bike.

PS. Just noticed that I described the Speedhub as “Eternal”  Here’s hoping  :)

I have an Eterna watch that's been going strong since 1963. See, it's got ballbearings, just like the Rohloff, so the Rohloff should last at least as long:
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewatches.html#Eterna3000