Author Topic: St Johns Street  (Read 2163 times)

PH

St Johns Street
« on: December 21, 2019, 09:19:39 am »
On a rainy Wednesday I found myself in Bridgewater with an unexpected hour to spare, and only knowing one thing about the town I naturally headed in the same direction as much of my disposable income has over the years. Not far from the town centre along a busy road, the Thorn sign juts out in a way it'd be hard to miss.  Peering through the window all you see is wall to wall Bromptons, I don't think I've ever seen so many in one place, but a little disappointing to see nothing else.  I nearly turned away, but as it looked like the rain was about to get heavier, popped in anyway.  Greeted by the guy putting away even more Bromptons, I asked if they had any of their own bikes on display,  he picked up the phone and asked if someone had time to do a "Walk in", that they have a name for it shows it's not uncommon.  Simon came down a couple of minutes later and I was led through the Staff Only door into the  warehouse - OK now I know stock control isn't the most rivetingly interesting subject, but it's been my speciality for a couple of decades, so I'll say I was impressed and leave it at that - then outside round the corner of the building and up the stairs.  Through the workshop where several bike were being built up, opens the door into Aladdin's cave and THE LIGHTS WENT OUT.. bloody power cut, stood inside the door peering a bike shaped objects in the gloom for a couple of minutes thinking so near yet so far and they came on again.  Revealing, well all sorts, maybe not quite as I was expecting,  part storage, part showroom, nothing glitzy, nothing to detract from the bikes, I liked it, everything you might want to look at was there, without it being heavily promoted.  First in the door was a bike I didn't recognise, a Nomad on 700c wheels and V brake fork, I have to remind myself I'm only killing time whilst I can feel my wallet throbbing in my pocket.  I chat a bit with Simon, who's happy to answer questions, the Nomad is being configured in all sorts of ways, I can see why it's replacing some other models.  There's several builds on show including one with an electric motor.  I don't look much further than the Nomads, I'm not really looking for another bike, but if I was... And that was it. thanked Simon, headed back through the racking and out into the rain - and the chaos, the power cut hadn't just been Thorn it had knocked out all the traffic lights.
This was the first time I've been there, I'm glad I did, I didn't particularly learn anything new, but had my opinion of the company reinforced.  They were happy to show me round and answer questions without trying to sell me anything.  They don't need to, the bikes speak for themselves.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
Re: St Johns Street
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 10:26:13 am »
Earlier this year I made my third visit to SJS. My first was to collect a new Dawes Mean Street XT hybrid which was in their sale in 1994 (I still have it). In 2009 I collected my Thorn Sterling and this year we detoured to Bridgwater by appointment on our way back to Spain to have the oil seals replaced on the Sterling's Rohloff. Each time the staff have been very welcoming and extremely helpful. Yes, full of Bromptons but it got me thinking and I bought one in Seville just this week. I would have been happy to buy from SJS but Brompton's hold on their dealerships seems very tight and they aren't allowed to mail order the bikes and even parts to some countries.
Brian.

diapason

Re: St Johns Street
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 11:36:12 am »
They are my local bike shop and I often pop in.  Little while back I went in to ask about Thorn sizing and rode out on a test ride on a gorgeous Nomad.  Liked it so much I picked it up a couple of days later!  Great bike and great service.  Absolutely no pressure from Andy to buy  I spent some time looking at and sitting on several different bikes before taking this one for a ride in the rain.

Delighted with the bike and looking forward to better weather to go on some longer rides.  So far, just been using her locally around the town.  Rohloff is perfect!