Author Topic: Nomad seatpost bolt  (Read 2855 times)

lestat_12345

Nomad seatpost bolt
« on: December 02, 2019, 04:36:22 pm »
Can anyone tell me what type of bolt is used on the Nomad MK2 seat post for example M3 etc? and length?

mickeg

Re: Nomad seatpost bolt
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 02:07:13 am »
M6.  I did not remove mine to measure, threaded length is roughly 20mm long, if in doubt get the next longer size to make sure.

If you are in the middle of nowhere, try your stem cap bolt as an emergency replacement until you can get to a store to buy a new one.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:49:04 am »
An added note to what George has suggested...

If you err on the longer side, then if the bolt snaps it is much easier to unscrew the headless end by clamping onto the protrusion with a pair of mole-grips/vise-grips.

Best,

Dan.

lestat_12345

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 08:21:55 am »
Thanks for the advice all :)

martinf

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 01:11:06 pm »
If you err on the longer side, then if the bolt snaps it is much easier to unscrew the headless end by clamping onto the protrusion with a pair of mole-grips/vise-grips.

It's not my idea, but I can't remember who suggested it. It was probably on this forum.

I use a hacksaw to cut a slot in the headless end of seatpost bolts for Thorn bikes. So it should be easy to remove the remainder of the bolt with a flat screwdriver if the head snaps off.

I also have a spare bolt (with slot) in my touring toolkit. The 6mm size will also work with some (usually old) stems.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 07:09:39 pm »
I have heard that of all the things that can break and mess up a bike tour that are amazingly light weight and cheap, seatpost bolt is near the top of the list.  I cut a slot in mine several years ago, I might have suggested it on this forum.  I think I used a Dremel Mototool cutting disc, not hacksaw. 

I used to carry a spare until I realized that my stem cap bolt would be a good spare, quit carrying a spare.