Author Topic: Thermos type Cycling bottle  (Read 2791 times)


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 505
Thermos type Cycling bottle
« on: November 24, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »
Over the past week out and about in the mud & the rain & the cold (0 to 5 deg C) I could have done with a warming drink.
My dentist advised using my front implants to open bottles !
Anyone come across a bottle with flip top not a teeth puller ?


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1857
Re: Thermos type Cycling bottle
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »
Screw on lid?

I cut some sleeves from a wide inner tube (maybe a 57mm wide tire type of tube?) that were maybe 12mm long and used to make the bottle fit in the cages tighter so it does not slop around, then wrapped electrical tape over the inner tube sleeves to hold the sleeves in place better.

Bottle is a vacuum insulated thermos bottle.  I have done the same sort of thing with flip top thermos brand bottles too.  But do not have photos handy to show.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 941
Re: Thermos type Cycling bottle
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 09:22:17 PM »
If you take a thermos, or any other insulated bottle, then fitting it to the frame where cold air is constantly rushing over it makes it's work harder than if you sheltered it in a saddlebag or even back pocket.
I used to carry a thermos on most winter rides, now I take a jetboil type stove* and stop somewhere sheltered and make a brew, very civilised.
* For over ten years it was a Jetboil, now using the even smaller Primus Lite+

John Saxby

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1659
Re: Thermos type Cycling bottle
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 06:14:59 PM »
Anyone come across a bottle with flip top?

There's a range of insulated bottles, tumblers, mugs, etc., widely sold in North america in the past couple of years, named Yeti.

Our local outdoors-gear co-op, MEC, seels a wide range.  Here's a link:

On a visit to another local store, Lee Valley Tools, I noticed that Yeti offers a flip-top lid for their "Rambler" thermos flasks, called a "Chug Cap", as well as a "Magnetic Slider Cap".  Here's a tinyurl link:

I haven't used any of this gear myself, but I've found over the years that Lee Valley in particular sells only very good kit. MEC has a wider range of quality, but generally offers  good value.

Dunno if Yeti products available in UK?  I expect they're available via Amazon -- I didn't check that source, as I almost never use it.

Hope that's helpful.