Author Topic: Hilleberg Akto advice  (Read 5471 times)

in4

Hilleberg Akto advice
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:48:20 pm »
Has anyone any experience  using an Akto with the optional mesh inner? I'm particularly interested in how good the ventilation is. I'm hoping to ride in the Australian dry season during  2020 and think the standard inner would be far too 'sweaty'
Thanks

B cereus

Re: Hilleberg Akto advice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:02:24 am »
I've no experience of the mesh inner I'm afraid but I would have thought that it would be ideal for your purpose.

Ventilation on the Akto even with the standard inner is excellent in my view. One of the plus points is the ability to fine tune it to suit conditions.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:33:13 pm »
Hi Ian,
 No experience with the Hilleberg, I'm afraid, but I have a 2-person MSR Hubba Hubba with an internal mesh compartment, and it's been ideal both in the Southern Africa dry season--with and without the fly--and in the Canadian summer, ditto.

Can you use the Akto inner without the outer fly?  One advantage is--assuming you'll have no rain--that with just the inner mesh, you have a delightful bug-free view of the night sky.

Cheers,  John

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 09:32:43 pm »
with just the inner mesh, you have a delightful bug-free view of the night sky.

You romantic, you.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 10:21:39 pm »
 ;)

in4

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 07:41:16 am »
I feel a song coming on :)
Great contributions, thank you

Hilleberg tell me that the mesh inner is available as an additional item only; you can’t buy one as an alternative to the non-mesh one. Puzzling I think, but they know their market etc.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:17:22 am by in4 »

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 02:57:01 pm »
the mesh inner is available as an additional item only

Depending on the conditions you're likely to face, Ian, a separate mesh inner used with a nylon/silicone tarp could do the necessary:  if you expect to encounter occasional wind or rain, for example. I started using one as a standard item in my canoeing, and continue using one in cycle-touring.  I have to deal with downpours now & then--rarely steady/drizzly rain--and rigging the tarp lets me start the day and pack up in dry conditions.

For you, OTOH, getting a tarp may be more bother than it's worth. 

Going sideways on this issue, you might look at the offerings on www.tarptent.com.  I've used a Moment DW since 2015, for example, and have found it excellent, with very good ventilation.  Details on request if you're interested.

Cheers,  John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 02:00:48 am »
Here's my Enan on Antelope Island in Utah. I think the ventilation is the same as with the Akto. With the door flap open, the ventilation is pretty good. With the fly deployed, probably a mesh inner wouldn't be too much of an improvement. Obviously a mesh inner without the fly... I forget whether they have a system to allow that!

jul

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 09:40:12 pm »
I'm agree with JimK, it's for that reason i bought a second tent specially for warm weather (3 seasons)..

Which part of Australia do you plan to ride there ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:43:47 pm by julio »

in4

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 10:26:00 am »
Dry season Queensland and Northern Territory. 35c day time possibly down to 10c night time

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 06:56:41 pm »
Thanks, Ian, that's helpful.

From my experience, I'd suggest a close look at the Tarptent DW Moment (one-person).  It has 2 vestibules and two wide doors.  Both doors are made of mesh.  The tip and the toe of the tent are two triangles, also of mesh, with closable flaps.  The fly is vented in two spots at its peak.

I've found that the tip and toe triangles, left open, provide good very ventilation, esp when aligned with the wind. If I leave the flap of one vestibule open as well, that's more than enough ventilation.  When I've camped in temps below, say, 10-12 with wind, I've found I have to close both vestibule doors most of the way -- in those conditions, the fore and aft triangles gave sufficient ventilation.

One consideration:  The basic Moment is not free-standing. Tarptent does sell a fore-and-aft crossing pole, however, which converts the tent to free-standing -- although I always use the two fore and aft pegs.  I've found the crossing pole to be very handy however:  it ensures ample space betw fly and inner and generally adds tautness to the tent when pitched. I've also found it to be handy when I rig a tarp (as I always do if I expect rain at night) -- the crossing pole serves as a prop.

One detail on the poles: I opted to use the standard alu poles for both the main hoop and the auxiliary crossing pole.  If I were doing it again, however, I'd opt for the more expensive carbon-fibre for at least the main hoop pole.  When the tent is damp or wet, the alu sometimes binds a bit when I thread it through the tunnel to erect the tent.

Cheers,  John

Pavel

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 08:35:54 pm »
I have the HIlleberg Enan, and personally wish I'd bought the Akto. The reason for that is that I don't agree that the ventilation is as good on the Enan. I live in a Hot, hot, humid climate and find that the air movement next to the ground is often non-existent, so the mesh ventilation, which is a bit higher than the Akto's really makes next to no difference, and so the door needs to be open.  The problem I find is that the Enan does not have the Akto's flap, so in any precipitation it's a choice between super hot and soggy, or hot and wet gear. 

But for dry environments, I think the Enan would be almost the same.  the other factor that makes me wish that I had bought the Akto instead, is the dang poles in each end.  They come out to about 15" long and prevent the tent from being stuffed into a bag.  You have to roll it each time.  and the rolled tent is at least 16" long, and so it's a lot tougher to pack away for me, that tents that don't have built in support structures.  That may or may not be any sort of factor for you of course, but just something to think about.

I've taken a quick look and while I'm sure it must be possible to remove the end struts each time, that would be a faff, and I'd probably lose or break them, and then couldn't pick the tent.  So my vote is for the Akto, despite the fact that I really do like the Enan better than any other tent I own.  Just those two details.  I find each time I go try to save a bit of weight, I regret it.

On the subject of the mesh inner, I will get one when I get my next Hilleberg ( probably a Nalo 2 person ) but with the one tent I have that has mesh only, it's great except when I camp on sand.  You just can't keep fine sand particles out, and the stuff gets into every bit of sleeping gear and clothing.  But it's great in one way.  So much sand in my mouth when I wake up, it's been grinding my teeth white all night long, so who needs that heavy tooth brush :)

Just a few thoughts, in case they are of any help.