Author Topic: Fitting front mudguard to Thorn exxp  (Read 3761 times)

africabybike

Fitting front mudguard to Thorn exxp
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:37:18 pm »
I'm replacing the front mudguard on my exxp, as the old one finally snapped.  I ordered an SKS mudguard from SJSC which looks identical to the old one but for the fact that the bridge for attching it is incompatible with the twin plate fork crown on the bike.  The standard fitting requires a bolt to be screwed in hortizontally, whereas the old mudguard was fastened with two bolts that screwed vertically into the fork plate.

Can anyone help?  Do I need to adapt the mudguard that I have or have I got the wrong model?  Is there another one out there that is compatible with the exxp??

Thanks!
Anna

kwkirby01

Re: Fitting front mudguard to Thorn exxp
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:40:07 pm »
Check with Thorn to be sure, but I beleive you have to drill the mudguard and use the bolt(s) that came with the originally fitted mudguard. Good luck.

Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

julk

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 07:38:19 pm »
The bridge supplied with the new mudguards is the standard one for use on bikes which have a hole for a horizontal bolt through the fork crown. I used one recently when fitting mudguards to an old mountain bike before it was used for a British (wet) summer tour.

The twin plate fork crown bike I have requires two holes to be drilled in the mudguard for the fixing bolts. There are also some spacers fitted between the mudguard and fork crown underside to hold the mudguard at the required distance from the tyre.

You could use the old mudguard as a guide for where to drill the holes in the new one. As an alternative, you could try melting the holes with a soldering iron.

I hope this helps.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
On the Raven Tour twin crown fork, 2 holes are required through the front mudguard.  To fit SKS mudguards you need to drill out the rivets of the standard bracket attached to the mudguard.  If done with care the 2 holes left behind line up with the holes on the forks. (Very clever of Andy B that one!)  Use the spacers of the old mudguard.  I imaging the EXXP will be similar.  One thing to watch out for is that drilling the rivets may melt the mudguard so spray the drill tip with water.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:39:32 pm by stutho »

africabybike

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 03:17:33 pm »
Thanks for your help, everyone.  Looks like it's time to get the drill out!