Author Topic: Rohloff chain tensioner - which chain are you using ?  (Read 3832 times)

Tiberius

Rohloff chain tensioner - which chain are you using ?
« on: November 19, 2019, 10:27:09 am »
I've recently moved my Rohloff into a frame that requires a chain tensioner. I've bought the standard Rohloff  chain tensioner and have found that my supply of 1/8" chains won't fit through the cage, it seems that I MUST use a 3/32" SS/IGH chain or something narrow that's designed for use with a derailleur ??

Question for anyone here using the Rohloff chain tensioner. What chain do you actually use ?

I believe that Thorn currently recommend/fit the KMC e1. I wasn't a big fan of the x1 so I'm wondering what  other people use ?

Thank you.

mickeg

Re: Rohloff chain tensioner - which chain are you using ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 04:25:26 pm »
I do not use the tensioner, my Nomad has a bottom bracket eccentric for chain adjustment.  I buy the cheapest KMC eight speed chains available.
http://kmcchain.us/chaintype/8-speed/

Note that KMC sells two different quick links for eight speed.
http://kmcchain.us/connectortype/8-speed-below-ml/

The specific page for each quick link lists which chains the link goes with.  I do not know if the links are interchangeable or not, but I might have gotten them mixed up and still had not problems.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:46:54 am »
The KMC quick links are definitely not interchangeable. George just got lucky in picking the right one from his spare parts box.

I don't use a chain tensioner any more, but the generally highly regarded KMC chains include many for derailleurs, including the X8-9x I'm partial to even on hub gear bikes. There are cheaper versions below the X8, and the ones made for mountain bikers are known to be sturdy, so might suit you. The various chains of any particular number designation are all of the same construction, for instance bulleted rivets; the additional digits like -93 and -99 designate ascending qualities of rust protection, with the X-99 being fully nickelled and the X8-93 being half-nickelled.

You're not the only one unimpressed with the X1. I haven't tried it, but the mileages achieved by posters here on it haven't in my opinion been impressive enough to warrant its extra cost over the X8.

martinf

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 07:21:02 am »
An idea that might or might not work with the Rohloff tensioner - try fitting very thin washers (and maybe longer bolts) between the halves of the chain tensioner cage.

Done that successfully in the past to run 1/8" chain on a non-Rohloff hub gear bike, with an old derailleur used as a tensioner.

Otherwise, so long as the chainring and sprocket are compatible I reckon any 3/32" chain will work. I currently have nickel-plated SRAM 890 chains on my two Raven Tour bikes, no perceptible wear yet after 2,000 plus kms BUT they are under Chaingliders and I reckon any chain will do well with some protection from water and road grit.

I have one of the expensive KMC X1 chains on my Raven Sport Tour, which doesn't have a Chainglider, this is also doing well for the moment (1,200 kms, no perceptible wear and still on the factory lubricant) but too early to tell if there is any benefit in paying extra for a chain to try and save money on sprockets and chainrings.

Tiberius

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 09:03:42 am »
As ever gents, great info' - much appreciated.

Thank you.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 03:12:39 pm »
An idea that might or might not work with the Rohloff tensioner - try fitting very thin washers (and maybe longer bolts) between the halves of the chain tensioner cage.

That is a good idea.  I have done that for other purposes.  Sometimes I found that a large diameter washer is a problem where a smaller diameter washer works well.  A few months ago I found a larger washer pressed on the part that I wanted to easily rotate but a washer with smaller diameter did not interfere.

PH

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 10:49:31 pm »
I have a Rohloff with tensioner on my folder, running a KMC E1 mainly because I've been happy with the same model on my non tensioner Rohloff.