Author Topic: Best bicycle component you ever bought?  (Read 17020 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Best bicycle component you ever bought?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 10:35:17 pm »
Yes, my iPhone is central to my cycling too, but not for GPS. Instead of cadence control, I regulate my output on the bike by my heart rate, reported on my iPhone. But I didn't choose the iPhone because I can easily substitute a heart rate monitor with its own display. The thing about anyone's chosen flavour of Brooks saddle, or the Rohloff gearbox, is that there really isn't a direct substitute.

Well, there are Dutch Lepper leather saddles so long-lasting they are used on the Swiss Army bikes, but getting one is a pain because they have no anglophone distribution, though in more recent years they've occasionally appeared on Ebay.

energyman

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 08:31:53 am »
A SR Lookin Saddle on the basis if my bum is comfortable then all is well with the world ;)

Pavel

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 12:45:03 am »
A SR Lookin Saddle on the basis if my bum is comfortable then all is well with the world ;)

Ahh, so the rear, takes front position, so to speak.  Sage wisdom.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 09:25:51 pm »
+1 for Rohloff.
I have two, on my Mercury and Thorn tandem.

Mike

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 05:22:09 am »
Well, there are Dutch Lepper leather saddles so long-lasting they are used on the Swiss Army bikes, but getting one is a pain because they have no anglophone distribution, though in more recent years they've occasionally appeared on Ebay.

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-saddles-seatposts/lepper-saddle/
Brian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 05:47:32 am »
Well found, Brian. Those Lepper saddles also look to be a fraction cheaper than the Brooks. I like the sound of the extra-long Hammock.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:37:24 pm by Andre Jute »

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 10:13:17 am »
They do look good. I'm considering one for my new Brompton. An interesting site in general.
Brian.

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 07:34:26 am »
Well I have to put my SA stuff first fiddle. Sorry herr Rohloff.
Best is my SA XL-FDD dyno drum hub. It both took me out of the DARK ages and gave me 100% reliable brakes that don't scratch and screech the rim. ZERO adjustments or problems, except the inevitable bearing change at 17,000 miles. Not even the crumbs from 4 balls sucked into the magnet slowed it down. LOL Now past 24,000 miles.
 Plus it is FABULOUS on my tour 120 lb bike, ZERO worries. Contrary to laughably WRONG conventional thinking and uninformed anti SA bias.  ::) "It will fade" LOL

At the same time I bought a SA XL-RD 5w. Before the shifting went goofy, I just LOVED how it silently flew me down the highway.... And down the hill at 45.8 mph. All my speed and distance records were with it. My defaileurs were absolute garbage in comparison. But of course it couldn't power a tour bike. So enter the noisy Rohloff LOL, now with 16,500 miles and a TRP Spyre disc brake that locks on a dime. I actually took 3 SA 16T cogs and got them carved out and welded to 13T Rohloff cogs. FAR stronger and quieter. I use 1/8" chains that somehow don't last half as long as you guys setups. WTH
  I positively SNEER at any and all other defailleur bikes. Especially when their spokes break. Awwwww. LOL
I love my SA brake levers too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:36:09 am by GamblerGORD649 »

Bill C

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 04:55:06 pm »

I positively SNEER at any and all other defailleur bikes. Especially when their spokes break. Awwwww. LOL

i'll take a broken spoke over a broken flange any day
just out of curiosity what you going to do if your rohloff goes belly up, the thorn workshop is closed and good luck with getting one sent back to the fatherland, totally unfit for the apocalypse   8)
me i'll dust off a rapid rise mech and fix it myself, i will now engage smug mode as Kryten would say

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:00:38 pm by Bill C »

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 07:26:59 pm »
Such handsome fellow, you are. -- Yoda

Mike Ayling

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 11:28:44 pm »
For me, though I was first tempted to say the Rohloff was the most significant item, because it just makes me enjoy cycling in a new way.  But as far as what has been the greatest enabler to cycling the rohloff is in fact third in line after the LED light bulb in second place and my iPhone in first.

No more starting out for Florida, and winding up in Vermont!  How did we all do it before GPS?

We knew how to read a map!
And some of us still utilise this skill!

Mike

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 11:31:27 pm »
LOL... Here just for you Bill C....
I just did a broken spoke search on CGOAB. 2205 results, many for the same few threads, but whatever.
30 seconds later I find this guy with a RECORD 27 broke spokes for a FUJI bike and a replacement wheel. LOL
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/board/message/?nested=0&o=1mr&page=1&thread_id=139954&v=l#bottom
Last year I found guys with the same failings with a LHT.

Here is the champion rear hub breaker, Ray Pokai < changed name to Rei Bronson, at CGOAB. He is like 6'5" and 300+ lbs, but still...
He had a Surly Troll, almost NOTHING survived 6,500 miles. Rear hubs broke 4 times, something about pawls. Unfortunately he hid all his impressive videos at YT. THEN he bought a ROHLOFF14, BTW.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=378325&v=7C

>>> I also did 4,200 miles in VN and China, only problem was my weak fork breaking 3 times at the same place. A  bad brazeon and the too strong drum brake stressed it, snapped straight across like a lazer cut it. Still the same SA cable after 5 years and 20,000 miles.

Lots more at Bikeforums. net.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:07:52 am by GamblerGORD649 »

Bill C

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 11:57:30 pm »
i'm not a giant nor am i a fat slob only ever broken a couple of spokes in my life, everything on my bikes can be repaired by me that's why i never bought into rohloffs well that and the fact they have a crap gear range.... and the fact i have been on here long enough to be pig sick of the bitching and snarky comments such as yours about "defailleurs"

you didn't answer my question what are you going to do if your rohloff dies? noone can fix it at an lbs and i doubt you can either
you were happy to slag my choice explain how having something inferior will enhance my cycling

PH

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 12:38:21 am »
Another thread gone from an interesting subject to an excuse to be rude about others choices...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 12:48:05 am »
Another thread gone from an interesting subject to an excuse to be rude about others choices...
...which is why I've locked the topic for a bit until cooler heads prevail.

Remember, our little community here is known for its high standards of interaction. Differences of opinion are fine, but personal attacks are not, so keep that in mind; it's in the rules everyone agreed to when joining.

Thankfully, there's no one way to enjoy or equip bicycles.They are each a personal reflection of ourselves and preferences. Vive la differénce, live and let live, share and help as you can. There's enough strife in the larger world and folks dealing with much larger problems than this right now.

Best,

Dan.