Author Topic: Best bicycle component you ever bought?  (Read 17175 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Best bicycle component you ever bought?
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2020, 12:09:15 am »
There speaks someone who has probably never tried reconnecting at 3am, 300km into an audax, in the sleet, half way up an Welsh mountain...
Me neither, but it could happen...

Even in broad daylight, with my bike up on a stand, I can't get my fingers in there, and so use needle nose pliers, which do awful things to the insulation around the slides, and even to the metal slides. It's a miserably fiddly design that Andreas Oehler, who is at least a cyclist, should have nixed. At the very least, if you insist on using a stupid-light design on a touring bike, pull it from an auto parts bin, not some miniature dolls-house size that nobody can find in a town with several auto supply houses.

leftpoole

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2020, 10:37:54 am »
There speaks someone who has probably never tried reconnecting at 3am, 300km into an audax, in the sleet, half way up an Welsh mountain...

Even in broad daylight, with my bike up on a stand, I can't get my fingers in there, and so use needle nose pliers, which do awful things to the insulation around the slides, and even to the metal slides. It's a miserably fiddly design that Andreas Oehler, who is at least a cyclist, should have nixed. At the very least, if you insist on using a stupid-light design on a touring bike, pull it from an auto parts bin, not some miniature dolls-house size that nobody can find in a town with several auto supply houses.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pavel

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2020, 04:58:06 pm »
The spade connectors are so simple, strong and robust ... why introduce another plastic gizmo point of failure?  And the instructions are simple.  Pull off.  Push on. Even a recent US high school graduate may be able to follow those.  Maybe.

You are right on that score. Of course on the other hand, if you or anyone else here will provide the ticket to Wales, a new bike with the dreaded spade connectors on the new silver polished Disk brake ready Dyno, and a few pints after - I'm up to the challenge, FREE of any testing charges. Yes, I'm selfless that way. So sign me up for the next Welsh peddle assist 315km Audax.