Author Topic: THORN Raven Sport Tour  (Read 11265 times)

PH

Re: THORN Raven Sport Tour
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 10:58:03 am »
That does look to be in exceptional condition, my bikes only look like that for the first few months...

leftpoole

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 10:30:01 pm »
Nice looking bike but can you rotate the photo so I can see it properly without getting a crick n my neck. I would do it myself but it just gives me the message "DO NOT COPY! I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.....". :o

Hello,
Rotate? I’m not sure what you mean. Sorry
John

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 10:31:36 pm »
That does look to be in exceptional condition, my bikes only look like that for the first few months...
Hello,
Thank you. It’s 10 years old and has done 6000 miles and the hub is virtually silent!
Best
John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 04:14:14 am »
Here's the picture rotated:

If you don't want this photo posted this way, John, let me know and I can remove it.

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 10:32:42 am »
Hello,
Ah! Great job, well done. I can never reduce the photograph enough to post it here hence the link.
I see you found your way around the copyright door! Well done. Funnily I’m able to do that myself with other photographs but can’t seem to compress to post here. 🙄
Thank you and I hope it’s going to be ridden soon and shown in it’s true environment, the outdoor.
John

j-ms

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 02:36:36 pm »
I only noticed it now but I see that the front brakes are behind the forks, in the fashion of the Nomad.  The current Raven has the brakes in front of the forks.  Could anyone explain the pros and cons of being in front or behind ?

geocycle

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 04:06:10 pm »
I only noticed it now but I see that the front brakes are behind the forks, in the fashion of the Nomad.  The current Raven has the brakes in front of the forks.  Could anyone explain the pros and cons of being in front or behind ?

I think this was discussed a long time ago on the forum but I cannot immediately find it.  Having had both a RT and RST with the same brakes and rims I can say in practice it makes no detectable difference. The only downside is that the brake can scratch the underside of the downtube unless you are careful with cables and noodles.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 04:21:33 pm »
I find 800 pixels wide works pretty well for photos to be posted. I use Irfanview to edit photos but of course there many options. The copyright protection works pretty well but I just tried a little this, a little that and found a path. No need to share details! I don't remember them anyway!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 05:13:00 am »
The current Raven has the brakes in front of the forks.  Could anyone explain the pros and cons of being in front or behind ?

When the brakes are behind the forks... as the brakes are applied, the torque on the fork blades is going to push the brake pads into the rims. When the brakes are in front of the forks, braking will spread the brake pads away from the rims.

What that means in terms of brake modulation or anything else... hmm, kind of eludes me at the moment!

martinf

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 06:59:51 am »

When I got my Raven Sport Tour this niggled me a bit, because it was different from what I was used to.

I soon forgot about this difference. Once I got the brakes set up with in-line adjusters (necessary on my set-up with NOS XTR parallelogram V-brakes and Tektro drop-bar levers) I stopped thinking about the brakes. They just work.

I haven't noticed any real difference between XTR V-brakes behind the forks and the Deore LX V-brakes in front of the forks on my "utility" Raven Tour. I do notice a difference in feel and response between my "utility" Raven Tour and my "touring" Raven Tour, the latter has Deore XT V-brakes, CSS rims and the special brake pads for CSS.

One disadvantage of the Raven Sport Tour front brake position is that it would be very difficult to fit cantilever brakes. Which I prefer over V-brakes, but probably mainly because I have used cantis for 42 years and V-brakes for only 7 years.

rualexander

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 10:35:17 am »
I find 800 pixels wide works pretty well for photos to be posted. I use Irfanview to edit photos but of course there many options. The copyright protection works pretty well but I just tried a little this, a little that and found a path. No need to share details! I don't remember them anyway!

Pretty pointless having copyright protection like that anyway rather than some 'watermarking', as anyone can take a screenshot and crop it how they want surely?

leftpoole

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 12:18:44 pm »
Hello
I’m not trying to copyright . I simply had the pages set so that people didn’t use my photograph. There are a couple of ways around it and if you can go to the bother so be it.
I’m only keeping those pages going because there are a load of personal photographs in there. I wish I had kept them on memory stick . I did have a disc but have used an iMac  for 5 years, it has no disc drive.
Talk about bikes and cycling bicycles and tandems and anything related, but NOT electric power cycles please!
Best to all,
John
PS I have now rotated the photograph. I was unaware of the situation!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:02:30 pm by leftpoole »

macspud

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 01:22:19 pm »
Thank you, John,
That's much better.  :)

leftpoole

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2019, 05:23:13 pm »
Hello residents,
You may recall that I mentioned not riding due to a knee injury?
I’ve been having tests and X rays plus MRI and I have Tri Compartmentalised arthritis. It’s so advanced that Medication is not a possibility. I am booked for Steroid injections into all three compartments of my right knee on December 10th. I’m obviously looking forward to that!
I’ve had a really rotten year medically speaking having been in Hospital for a greater deal of it. Then along comes more to be hit with.
I started the year with Bells Palsy following that internal bleeding which hospitalised me more or less for the Summer. Now this.
I’m not happy right now but have my not yet restored Thorn Audax 853 sitting ready to ride over Winter?
Watch this space.
Regards to all,
John

julk

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2019, 06:30:57 pm »
John,all the very best for the treatment you have lined up.
I hope it is successful and you are soon back restoring and riding that 853.
Julian.