Author Topic: Stem slope  (Read 1607 times)

jr970

Stem slope
« on: October 25, 2019, 02:36:43 pm »
Just picked up a nice Mk 5 Club tour with straight bars and starting to refine the setup - especially Stem height. I like a quite upright riding position (due to back problems) and it's currently setup with the stem sloping down. This means I end up with quite a long fork steerer. If I flip the stem so it slopes up the it means the steerer can be shorter, which just looks a bit better to my eye.

Any pros or cons to which way the stem slopes?  Does it have any impact on handling ? I'd cut the steerer a bit long anyway to allow for future upward movement.

mickeg

Re: Stem slope
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 04:02:26 pm »
On a couple bikes I have the stem angled down instead of up to avoid cutting it, that makes the bike look better with fewer spacers above the stem.  For a while I had a 17 degree stem on my Sherpa to help minimize how many spacers i have above the stem, see photo.

I do not want to cut it because if I sell the bike later, a buyer might want the bars higher.  Exception - My Nomad, I cut the stem because it made it easier to pack the bike in an S&S Backpack case.  I think I cut the stem three times, each time leaving it a bit longer than where I thought it should be cut to avoid the danger of cutting it too short.  And several months between each cut to make sure I was not making a mistake.

If you cut it yourself, the way I do it is I wrap a piece of tape around the steerer so that the edge of the tape marks where I want the cut to be.  By putting the tape on it so that the tape is exactly perpendicular to the axis of the steerer tube, then being careful when I cut it to keep the saw cut at the edge of the tape, I make sure that my cut is not at an angle.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:10:59 pm by mickeg »