Author Topic: What have I just bought?  (Read 3895 times)

Mark Manley

What have I just bought?
« on: October 25, 2019, 07:16:26 am »
At last after a totally spontaneous purchase last night I have a Thorn, at least I have paid for a frameset and hope it will be heading my way soon, just one question for now, does anyone know what model it is?
From my research it seems to be an early Sherpa or XTC but either way it is in not bad condition, has some nice lugs and is the kind of do it all touring bike I like. There is the remains of a decal on the top tube which appears to say EXPED but that is all that is left of it, both frame and forks are 531 tubing and it has a threaded headset.
Any advice most appreciated.

leftpoole

Re: What have I just bought?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 02:30:47 pm »
Hello,
It’s an old early Club Tour
Have fun with the build and usingbit.
Best
John

Bill C

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 03:05:36 pm »
hi there
the top tube says exped so i think it's the expedition it's the forerunner to the club tour
can't find much out about it but the wayback machine has a little on it dating from 1998
link http://web.archive.org/web/19980206191807/http://www.sjscycles.com/exped.html#Exped%20Frame

atb Bill
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:11:09 pm by Bill C »

Mark Manley

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 04:36:48 am »
Thanks for your replies, I am not sure that it is a Club Tour as they have 700 wheels and this one takes 26" according to the listing which I hope it does as that is what I have to go on there, I have written to Thorn about replacement decals and hope they can get back to me with more information.

Bill C

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 04:54:12 am »
irc they used to make the smaller sizes using smaller wheels, i'm sure I remember reading somewhere of an audax with 26 wheels the larger frames used 700c, if i come across the pages again i'll link to them, surly did the same at one time with the trucker

found it  , relevant bit below

"There are 19 different sizes of Audax frame!

These are divided into 3 different series, which are:

1. Frames for cyclists with legs too short to stand over the top tube of the smallest feasible 700C wheeled frame (500). We use 26" MTB wheels (with proper narrow road going tyres).

Sizes: 450S, 475S and 499S have short top tubes and are designed for people who are short with short legs.

Sizes: 450L, 475L and 499L have long top tubes and are designed for people who are only short in the leg"

link to full page http://web.archive.org/web/19991014035600fw_/http://sjscycles.com/audax.html

your frameset was listed by the seller as Size 47cm XS 26" so that fits with the audax 26" sizes
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:25:36 am by Bill C »

brummie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:38:21 pm »
An old Thorn Expedition bike. Probably made by Argos in Bristol.

martinf

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 07:46:48 am »
Thorn Expedition.

It's what I would have wanted about 25 years ago before the advent of performance wide tyres and Rohloff hubs.

PH

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 12:28:57 pm »
Looks to be in remarkably clean condition for the age.  Though it seems a little odd that the decals are over the paint and would make me wonder if they were originally like that. 
It might be an idea to stock up with tyres while you can, the choice of decent none MTB 26" tyres seems to be diminishing. 
Have fun with it.

Mark Manley

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 06:18:24 pm »
Thanks for your replies, I thought when I saw it  that it was an older UK made frame which is what I had hoped, yes I had better stock up on 26" tyres as with the exception of the Brompton all of my bikes have them. I do like a small frame not for the low seat height but short top tube giving a very upright position and will post up some photos when it is up together which will take a few weeks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 12:00:17 am »
A really grand purchase, Mark, and a nice piece of Thorn history. I like the color, too.
I do like a small frame not for the low seat height but short top tube giving a very upright position and will post up some photos when it is up together which will take a few weeks.
Preferred positioning is so important. Will you be keeping the drops or going with a straight bar of some sort?

Best,

Dan.

Mark Manley

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 06:41:11 pm »
It arrived today and is as nice as I had hoped, it weighs in using a digital balance at a mere 2.1KG for the frame only and the paintwork is in very good condition needing only a polish and new decals, Thorn have not got back to me about that yet.

A really grand purchase, Mark, and a nice piece of Thorn history. I like the color, too.
Preferred positioning is so important. Will you be keeping the drops or going with a straight bar of some sort?[/quote]

I have a very nice pair of Nitto bars with a slight rise on them I plan to use.