Author Topic: hebie chainglider width  (Read 3476 times)

hendrich

hebie chainglider width
« on: November 13, 2019, 01:13:03 am »
I am considering a hebie chainglider for the rear chain of our tandem with rohloff. I would appreciate if someone could give the outer width of a chainglider at the front of the chainring. The timing and rear chains are on same side and I need to determine if clearance between chains is sufficient (or could be made sufficient with spacers). This would be the model 350 front end glider. To nearest mm please and thank you.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: hebie chainglider width
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 05:47:46 pm »

hendrich

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:31:17 pm »
Thank you. I could make it work, but would need to add too much in spacers between chainrings.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:47 pm »
Thank you. I could make it work, but would need to add too much in spacers between chainrings.

Sounds like a smart decision. Even if you could make it work with spacers, you'd disturb the Rohloff chainline, which Rohloff presents as critical to within 1mm. There is however at least one forum member with experience running a Rohloff transmission line that is not optimal.

hendrich

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:17 am »
If using a derailleur chain, rather than straight chain, it is unclear why rohloff is concerned with disturbing the chain line by >1 mm. Nevertheless, I could probably find a combination of BB and spacers to maintain the chainline.  I understand the reason for the chainglider and thus my interest. However, with surly SS chainrings and relatively new chains having factory wax, or after I clean the chains, the look of all that shiny metal on our tandem is pleasing.  To cover with a black glider detracts from that a bit, but of course 'tis aesthetics.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 06:57:53 am »
If using a derailleur chain, rather than straight chain, it is unclear why rohloff is concerned with disturbing the chain line by >1 mm.

Herr Rohloff started out as a chain manufacturer so we can probably assume he knows how much a derailleur chain can bend before it starts loading up a hub gearbox. You could write and ask them.

Rohloff has a history -- as has almost all the leading German component manufacturers -- of setting unnecessarily fat safety margins, for instance in specifying the permissible chainring/sprocket ratio, so yours is a relevant question.