Author Topic: Derailleur Nomad Frame on Ebay  (Read 4027 times)

mickeg

Derailleur Nomad Frame on Ebay
« on: October 17, 2019, 01:08:02 pm »
Location in UK.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorn-Nomad-Frame/274054705185

Looks quite well used with a lot of rust.  No fork.  The Thorn label on the bike and the headbadge are of a style I do not recall ever seeing. 

PH

Re: Derailleur Nomad Frame on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:08:29 am »
What a shame when someone lets that happen to a frame.  I wouldn't touch it, if it's that rusty on the outside who knows what it'll be like inside.

Bill C

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:39:25 am »
it'll be alright, I'll post some pics when it arrives  ;)

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 04:24:47 pm »
Several years ago I bought a bike from a neighbor.  When his kids moved out of the house and left their bikes out back, he decided to show them that he was not picking up after them any more.  Thus the bikes stayed there.  Fast forward a decade, he is selling the house and having a sale.  He wanted $5 USD per bike.  I paid him for the Bridgestone.  He then went to get a saw to cut down the tree that had grown up through the frame so that i could retireve the bike.  Yup, there was a two inch diameter (~5 cm) tree that had grown up through the frame.

Took me a lot of work to get the bottom bracket out of it, it was rusted into it pretty firmly.  I put a heavy amount of frame saver into the frame.  Regreased the bearings that I did not replace, it needed a lot of new things like chain, some cables, tires, tubes, rim tape, handlebar grips, pedals, bottom bracket, one shifter and saddle.

Since then it has been a rusty, but great errand bike.  I still leave it stored outside where it is easy to grab for a quick run to the grocery store.

That said, I have seen on this forum over the years a couple of older fillet brazed Thorn frames that had rust perforations, so you have to be careful in what you buy.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 07:01:50 pm »
My own rustbike revival story is not too unlike George's. I was in a friend's used-bike shop one day when a man came in with his little girl and a very nice older (1970) handmade frame, wanting to sell. My friend was overstocked and passed, so the man turned to me, explaining he has owned the bike since new, had raced it in several populaires. As with many of this marque and model, the head tube had been overheated during manufacture and fractured, only to be replaced by a storied framebuilder of highest reputation. The derailleur tab was bent inward several degrees, and there were signs of surface rust that had tunneled under the Imron respray. The seller explained it had sat outside through two winters' snows in the high desert of Central Oregon after it had been passed by in two yard sales. I offered $20, the only cash on me at the time and the seller happily wrote me a receipt and bill of sale with his business card.

The frame then hung in my garage rafters for 17 years while I worked on other projects until I got 'round to it.

Looking at first, I was horrified, figuring I'd spent too much on it at $20! However, the Campagnolo high-flange hubs, crankset, and shifters sale on eBay repaid my outlay about 10 times over. I then examined the frame and saw that while there was indeed rust, all inside was only non-flaking surface rust with no perforations. Most had fallen to the bottom of the bottom bracket, threads protected by the cups. The BB itself was toast, but really nothing was terribly wrong so I flushed the frame, treated it with phosphoric acid, and oily-waxy cavity treatment.

I plan to respray it when warmer weather arrives, but it has built up nicely into my most-favored Fixie. Itrides like a dream on my 200km fixed-gear day rides and occasional bit of single-track. I love this bike for the purpose and wouldn't trade it for something new or "better".

Sometimes, the condition of a neglected and abused frame can be better than it appears!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:58:46 am by Danneaux »

Bill C

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:11:52 am »
i did give the pictures in the listing a good look, the frame hasn't been cleaned up for the listing but the bottom bracket shell looks clean inside so i doubt it's been left outside in the weather, the rust on the chainstays looks to be just surface rust rather than thick scabs of active rust

the seller is a bike charity and the listing was for used rather than spares or repairs so at 95 brexit pounds for a fillet brazed nomad including post it seemed worth a punt

forks, i guess sherpa forks would be a decent replacement, doubt i'll find another pair of lee cooper forks like i used on the xtc which btw lives again after it's accident  8)

macspud

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 04:45:59 am »
I would say you're correct, Bill. It looks pretty sound to me. It will be good to see some before & after photos, once you have given your new purchase a good helping of TLC.

There is a crusty Audax frame on eBay at the moment, that makes that Nomad look pristine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Racing-Audax-Bike-Frame-Reynolds-531-23-Steel-Frame/323913063907?hash=item4b6ab91de3:g:E-AAAOSwjapdeg1p
It must have been used as a winter trainer going by the look of the corrosion under the bottom bracket, down tube and chainstays. Still, it would likely make a good hack for winter use, with a clear conscience. Treated with phosphoric acid and clear coated, that would deter any tea leaf from wanting to steal it.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:20:25 pm by macspud »

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 04:52:52 am »
The derailleur fitted Nomads that I have seen photos of all had forks similar to the fork on my Sherpa, so you might be correct.  (I bought my Sherpa frame used in 2010, not sure which Mk version it is.)  But if you are buying a fork, if it was me doing that I would first try to find out the specifications for the fork before spending money on it.

I have no idea if Thorn would have any details on any records on that frame from the serial number, but if they do they might be able to suggest the axle to crown race length and fork rake or offset that the frame was designed for.  You might consider contacting them.

PH

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 08:15:43 am »
the seller is a bike charity and the listing was for used rather than spares or repairs so at 95 brexit pounds for a fillet brazed nomad including post it seemed worth a punt
Seems I'm more risk adverse than the general consensus on here, hope it works out for you.  I hadn't noticed the seller was a bike scheme, hopefully they've given it a good look at.
I still can't see the value in it, but then it isn't my money  ;)

Bill C

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 11:00:16 pm »

I still can't see the value in it, but then it isn't my money  ;)

I'll do my best to make you eat those words  ;)