Author Topic: Everything in Balance in Madison, Wisconsin  (Read 3822 times)

Andre Jute

Everything in Balance in Madison, Wisconsin
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:24:48 pm »

Not my photo, so I'm posting only the link. On the other hand, I've known the owner and his site (full of cycling wisdom and rare parts) for many years, so I guarantee your computer won't pick up nits by opening the photograph. Enjoy!

Is that you in the photo, George?

mickeg

Re: Everything in Balance in Madison, Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 03:57:52 pm »
I do not do unicycles.

No snow here today, but it was freezing outside.  Yellow Jersey moved several years ago, no longer in Madison.  I think they are a few miles north of Madison now.

I used to buy spokes from Yellow Jersey, they had the best price in town when you were buying enough to build up a complete wheel.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:07:18 pm »
Bicycles make the world smaller.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 11:53:25 pm »
I however saw an interesting unicycle that someone was using for touring when I was in Iceland.  The only unicycle I have ever seen with a disc brake fitted to it.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 11:06:55 am »
Besides the elegant colour coordination, does it seem anyone else studying George's photo that the cranks are mounted off-centre in that wheel, presumably to accommodate some manner of gearing system?

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 02:20:35 pm »
Besides the elegant colour coordination, does it seem anyone else studying George's photo that the cranks are mounted off-centre in that wheel, presumably to accommodate some manner of gearing system?

I photo reduced that photo to 20 percent of original size before posting it.  I went back to the original and cropped out most of the photo and posted that cropped photo here, I do not see what you mean by off center. 

The only thing I noticed was that they could remove their pedals and reinstall at a different point on the crank arm.  Maybe that is intended to reduce torque and increase cadence for greater speed on flatter ground?

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 05:04:55 pm »
Thanks, George. The enlargement makes everything much clearer.