Author Topic: Sherpa Forks  (Read 2581 times)

jr970

Sherpa Forks
« on: September 27, 2019, 04:47:48 pm »
Hi

I'm in the process of deciding what spec to get for a new Sherpa. Wondered if there was any advice on whether to go for the rack-capable forks or the lighter RAV853VC forks.

While my previous bike (Orbit Romany)  had Front Panniers I've now switched to purely B&B touring so don't use them and carry around 15Kg split between rear panniers and bar bag. We tour mainly in Germany which tends to be a mix of smooth & rough tarmac and some gravel/forest track sections which can be rough in road bike terms but nothing an MTB rider would notice.

Any advice on whether the lighter forks would suffer on the gravel sections and whether the upgrade is worth it?

martinf

Re: Sherpa Forks
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 08:35:46 pm »
On a lightly loaded bike I would personally go for the RAV853VC forks.

Have you asked the people at Thorn?

I believe they generally give good advice for component choices if you describe how you plan on using the bike and the load you intend to carry.

leftpoole

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 09:25:20 am »
In my opinion a Sherpa carries so much at the rear, that the better non rack fitment fork is decidedly a bonus!
I have 853 forks on my Audax.
John
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:28:13 am by leftpoole »

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 09:33:47 am »
I have the RAV853 VC forks on my Sherpa and Audax.  Sherpa on 26 x 1.6 tyres, Audax on 700 x 28. I have ridden gravel cycle trails, canal towpaths etc on them without any problems, and both have also had quite a hammering from poor surfaced urban roads - often worse than any light trail riding!  I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Are they more comfortable than the 'normal' forks?  I'm not sure, nothing really to compare them with.  But both bikes seem to me comfortable and secure.

Lewis

jr970

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 04:28:08 pm »
Thanks for the feedback folks - off down to Bridgewater next week so will discuss with the Thorn team, sounds like the lighter forks will do the job,