Author Topic: Gates Nomad  (Read 7441 times)

Matt2matt2002

Gates Nomad
« on: September 29, 2019, 02:30:45 pm »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

Re: Gates Nomad
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 07:16:53 pm »
It looks like the Rohloff cables are not the EX box version on that new frame.  I had not caught that before.

ipswichcycler

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:30:07 pm »
Its a loan wheel to check belt alignment and spacing.

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 12:10:41 am »

That would be a serious shame.  The EX box is a much better design.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 02:22:48 am »
It appears that the EX box is still used.  This graphic looks like it has cable holders under the non-drive side chainstay for the shift cables.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/products/medium/50527_5.jpg

A side note:  If anyone builds up one of these frames, make sure you use some Loctite or similar thread locker on the small screws that hold the dropouts on the frame.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/products/medium/50527_6.jpg

On my Lynskey there are a couple small screws like that for removable dropouts, one of the screws started to back out from vibration and it caused me quite a bit of difficulty.  I assumed the factory had used a threadlocker so I never checked, they did not.

ipswichcycler

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 07:01:45 pm »

I meant it’s a test wheel that was put in to check the alignment and the real wheel and build does have ex box. It’s very smooth to ride as there is almost no slack so smallest push in pedals immediately gets the wheels moving.  Plus it’s very quiet

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 03:44:32 pm »

I meant it’s a test wheel that was put in to check the alignment and the real wheel and build does have ex box. It’s very smooth to ride as there is almost no slack so smallest push in pedals immediately gets the wheels moving.  Plus it’s very quiet

What is the expected life of the Gates belt? In miles and years.

ipswichcycler

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 04:35:37 pm »
Maybe 4x a chain. I think it depends on many things so too hard to be accurate. At least I don’t have the info
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:01:05 pm by ipswichcycler »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 07:01:29 pm »
Maybe 4x a chain. I think it depends on many things so too hard to be accurate. At least I don’t have the info

Yes, I thought it was like asking how long is a piece of string.
Perhaps someone else will dig up some stats?
Thanks for your comment.

ipswichcycler

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 09:56:42 pm »

A view of the ex box

PH

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 09:37:38 am »
That's really nice, full set of upgrades by the look of it, including hydraulic brakes?  Does the rear light cable follow the brake hose?  If so how is it attached?

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 02:42:25 pm »
Nice looking bike.  I was a little surprised at a Tubus rack instead of a Thorn rack in the photo.

The more that I think about it, the more that I probably am happier with my Mk II because I can fit a suspension fork which I have done a couple of times.  And if the S&S option is no longer available on the Mk III, then for sure I like the Mk II better as I use the S&S couplers.  But the canti brake mounts on the wrong side of the Mk II fork has really frustrated me at times, that was my biggest gripe about the Mk II. 

Since I am comparing the Mk II and Mk III, I see a lot of good points on the Mk III.  I prefer drop bars, fortunately I could get a M size Mk II frame to fit me well with drop bars, I say fortunately because the bike was designed for use with flat bars.   Mk III is available in S frames for drop bars.  I like the Mk III paint and graphics better.  I would have used 26 in wheels with rim brakes if I bought a Mk III, but I still like the idea of having 650b option for canti brake posts for future changes.  And I like the idea of a bottom bracket eccentric that (1) is infinitely adjustable and (2) could be could be set with the crank in either an upper or lower position for minor changes in crank height above ground.

I built up my Nomad with 36 spoke wheels, I am a little curious why SJS is sticking with 32 for a heavy duty expedition bike.

ipswichcycler

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 08:31:51 pm »
That's really nice, full set of upgrades by the look of it, including hydraulic brakes?  Does the rear light cable follow the brake hose?  If so how is it attached?

Shimano xt m8000 hydraulic brakes.  I think the rear light cable does follow the brake hose for a while with small zip ties? Will have a closer look.

ipswichcycler

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 08:37:57 pm »
Nice looking bike.  I was a little surprised at a Tubus rack instead of a Thorn rack in the photo.

Its just what suited my needs.  I went cycle camping and cycle B&B -ing this summer and found one of them much more comfortable and enjoyable than the other.

rualexander

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 11:42:26 pm »
I went cycle camping and cycle B&B -ing this summer and found one of them much more comfortable and enjoyable than the other.

The camping?